Upgrade Advice

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I know DAYZ is pretty resource hungry, but possibly its come the time to consider my next upgrade.

Presently I'm running

Core2 duo E8500 @ 3.16Ghz
6 GB PC2-6400 DDR2-SDRAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850

All on a ASUS Maximus II GENE MoBo.

Is it worth upgrading the Gfx card perhaps to a 7730 or similar, or am I flogging a dead horse now and should consider the whole lot? ( in which case I'd better go buy a lottery ticket with my redundancy money....)
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

if it were me, and its not, i would seriously consider you entire system. sooner or later
your going to need to update it because the rest of your system is getting a bit past it you may not get the results from your graphics update you were expecting.

Need not be a bankrupting sum of cash if you spend carefully and wisely, perhaps e bay for some parts.
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

Do you have a budget at all?

I just built a very nice Mini ITX system with an XFX 280X DD Graphics card, i5 3330 CPU, Asus P8H61-I Mobo and 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ DDR3 RAM for just over £500. Granted I already had a 500W PSU and SSD, but you would probably be using your current case and PSU, anyway? I built it to go with Trig's mining pool and as a more portable gaming machine but it actually plays everything maxed at 1080P, so will shortly have a new home under the lounge TV as a "console", lol.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

depends on the job situation.
New job and I can spoil myself....
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

It's Christmas, why not..

You got a budget or case you want to look at?

I'm sat here thinking I dont need to spend £90 on a mouse at the minute but my old Roccat isn't detected all of the time so thinking I need a replacement...
IIiiiiiiit's Chriiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaasssssss....
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Was that a typo? Did you really mean to say £9.00? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Wow.... So when you go for a toilet break the mouse carries on playing for you? :D

Sorry for going off-topic there Bobster. Sounds like you need something to compete with the dire news of your redundancy, so start the year as you mean to go on... :2t:

Redundancy isn't a good thing if you enjoyed your job, but the job you had and did made a huge difference to the lives you saved or protected, whether by you personally or as your being one of a larger team. Very few people can make any such claim. I've known colleagues in the past think they were a hero because of their hitting a particular KPI, or even their gaming prowess. But guys like you are the real heroes, and you deal with it in the the most easygoing of ways.

If you don't set yourself up in self-employment in some way and go for another job, just slap that interviewer across the chops with your CV or that TV interview you did and they will be begging you to work for them. :D

Hope everything goes well Mr. Bob.

:gsv:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...