One For Rasputin (linux)

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

<a href="http://lifehacker.com/5974087/i-raised- ... ey-love-it" target="_blank">Kid raised on command-line since the age of 3</a>

We need more of this.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Nice article.

Nice article.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Really?!
We're at the point where Livia can pick up an iphone, my desirehd, either of the 2 Android tablets and get to where she wants and his kids love the command line and are amazed with a gui and mouse..
She's 4 now and been using touch devices since she was 2, nostalgia is a great thing but hardly useful...
madman045
GSV Regular

Post by madman045 »

I have to say it's the same in our household, Fred who recently turned 4 already has his own IPad and has been using our IPhones since at least 3

He can even show my parents how to use their IPad lol
<a href="http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/madman045" target="_blank">Image</a>
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

He should be reading with the children and not wasting their development and imagination on his limited Linux knowledge.

Between the ages of about 15 months to 24 months, a child will have a huge blast of brain cell growth. Below the age of 3 they have twice as many synaptic connections than an adult.... and sadly only a limited amount of those cells and connections are stimulated by the use of 'computers' and computer games. Using a computer, on the whole, is just an exercise in repetition, there isn't a lot of work to it once you have 'done' something two or three times.

If a child can read well, he/she can learn anything. If a child has a broad knowledge, then this acquired knowledge and ability to acquire knowledge, will be a powerful source of inspiration when their teenage years come along and their brain enters the phase of abstract thinking.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Claw wrote: If a child can read well, he/she can learn anything.

A guy at work made the same comment just recently, as we all (me included) insist that maths is the key to "getting on" in most technical careers, but if you don't have that good grasp of language and how to use all its forms you're screwed!. Which pretty much sums me up LOL.
Just thought it was a valid point, and one that I didn't come up with hehe.