Remote Desktop

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Remote Desktop was running fine until a day or so ago, Now, I can't access my <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->PC via remote desktop at all. I just can't work out what is going wrong with it, and I've done everything you could find on any website... I think.

All relevant Remote Desktop tick boxes are ticked. I've disable, tweaked, and slapped-around the firewall. I've renewed certificates in MMC. I can't think of anything else to do.

If anyone has a suggestion, or link, that they think may do the job, please drop it here. If you have experienced a freaky episode like this with RD then I'd love to hear your solution.

Remote Assistance works without any issues. :huh:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

How are you connecting, name or ip?
smoop
Advanced Member

Post by smoop »

which OS to which OS?
are you on a domain?
is the pc you remote to a server OS? which roles?

Mega
Advanced Member

Post by Mega »

smoop wrote: which OS to which OS?
are you on a domain?
is the pc you remote to a server OS? <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->which roles<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->?

Bacon please with brown sauce :D
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Desktop PC running W7 Pro is the host, and it used to work fine. The PC works perfectly and there is nothing reported in event viewer.

I've tried connecting via the 'net and LAN. Other versions of operating systems can remotely access one another via the 'net and LAN without issue. They consist of a mix of Laptops and a Tablet running a mix of W7 and XP.

The host PC is a powerhouse of reference and research material and software. It's function allows me to keep important writing and research resources on one system without having to install everything on every laptop and Tablet.

...and you can keep your brown sauce far away from my bacon role mister... :P
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
smoop
Advanced Member

Post by smoop »

unfamililar with the "powerhouse" OS? is that BSD?

domain? sometimes not using the domain's DNS server can prevent connections to domain controllers. doens't sound like you are but still worth asking.

can you telnet to it on port 3389? 3390 if it's vista?

what changed? firewall? router?
what's the error message?
info man, info!! need more or for this comment "Now, I can't access my PC via remote desktop at all. " i will call you a... User!!!!

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

The reference to "powerhouse" is more of an emphatic adjective in describing the role of this PC in my day to day activities in using it.

This is the info I dropped into the TechNet forums:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remote Desktop has stopped working, but Remote Assist still works.

I'm connecting a XP/Win7 Tablets (Wifi) to my desktop PC (Windows 7, wired) via LAN. It has worked previously, but now I just get the message, "Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote desktop for one of these reasons: 1) Remote access to the server is not enabled, 2) The remote computer is turned off, 3) The remote computer is not available on the network" The reasons, which are very obvious, aren't what is causing the problem.

Other computers and laptops (Windows 7) on the LAN don't have any problems being remotely accessed via my XP/Windows tablets.

I've done all the things suggested in the thread at this link: <a href="http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/r ... ost-534703" target="_blank">http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/r ... -534703</a>

I've also attempted to renew the certificate for Remote Desktop via MMC.exe.

The strange thing about all of this is that Remote Assistance works fine. I don't like TeamViewer, I don't get the same desktop interaction as with that of the native Remote Desktop.

I need to get this going again, and so I will be happy to follow through on any suggestions, even if it involves doing again things I've already done. If I could reset completely my Remote Desktop settings and start from scratch that would be great if possible.

I've sweeped it for any possible virus, checked it over with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. It's as clean as a whistle.

Give me things to try, please. Thanks for any advice. :)
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your domain suggestion had me thinking, but it only stopped working recently. It was working fine under the, from what I can tell, exact same config. as it always has been.

I'm forced to use TeamViewer at the mo, I don't really like it because it doesn't handle the display settings very well when I first connect, so I have to go through that rigmarole when connecting and putting it back to how it was previously.

Sorry for the lack of info initially. If I give a huge list of things I have done, it can often serve to stifle suggestions. But with hindsight, and as you suggest, it probably would have been better to just throw everything onto the table. :)

If this doesn't look like it is going to be easily sorted, would anyone recommend an alternative to TeamViewer?
Last edited by Claw on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Are you running any 3rd party AV/Firewalls. Turn these off and check that Windows Firewall is off on both machines. There is a reg hack that I can't rememeber just now but the final switch is "terminal server deny 0" a bit of googling will help you out. Did you check the less secure box as XP can't handle the more secure option. Are you using IP or hostname? if IP do you have it set to static or dynamic? if dynamic check that you are using the correct IP.
run cmd -> ipconfig
check local ethernet IPv4
Rasputin

ImageImage
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Rasputin wrote: Are you running any 3rd party AV/Firewalls. Turn these off and check that Windows Firewall is off on both machines. There is a reg hack that I can't rememeber just now but the final switch is "terminal server deny 0" a bit of googling will help you out. Did you check the less secure box as XP can't handle the more secure option. Are you using IP or hostname? if IP do you have it set to static or dynamic? if dynamic check that you are using the correct IP.
run cmd -> ipconfig
check local ethernet IPv4
Thanks Ras, but no change, sadly. :(

The registry tweak wasn't something I had tried before, but it was already '0' when I checked it. :(

This is looking really dodgy, and I'm now thinking that this is going to be an itch I can't scratch... :huh:
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Did you try the Telnet on port 3389?
Rasputin

ImageImage