Pioneer

PC & Console gaming
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dunno if any of you remember the game Elite? Was created for the BBC Micro and then spread to other platforms. Sequels to that game appeared over time, but they were way too buggy. Great news is that a Russian gent has taken the DNA of Frontier 2 (the last of the sequels) and with that recipe has made <a href="http://pioneerspacesim.net/" target="_blank">Pioneer</a>.

It is genuinely everything Frontier 2 was missing. At the moment it is still in Alpha. (as in phase of release, and not a star, or planet, or anything else spacey) However, it is a single player game. It tries to abide by the laws of physics, and includes trading, missions, piracy, hyperspace jumps, ship upgrades, upgrades to ship features, autopilot, (phew!) and other stuff I haven't mentioned.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Lol I remember this. I've still got it infact for my NES :D never got too into it tho as I would always crash and you couldn't save on a NES lol :)

Class--
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Main reason I got into computers, and only reason I bought a Beeb
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Lol what? You bought a Beeb? As in a bbc with the 5 inch flopies? As in the school computers? As in red function keys? WTF you bought one? Lol :D

Class--
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

yup, just to play Elite on
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dangerous Bob wrote: yup, just to play Elite on
Everyone talked about the game as if they had literally flown around the universe the night before. A friend once told me quite excitedly that just last night a huge Boa overtook him on approach to a space station...

Seems Elite has <a href="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=725" target="_blank">'official forums'</a>, but I've not had a look around it yet.

Talking about this has shown me something I'm missing in gaming lately. There are games you play, and there are games you live... I've still got my BBC B, and I even took it to a local school for the youngsters to have a look at. They were amazed that there were no windows, not even a mouse. (I didn't have one for mine) I wrote a little program right there in front of them and they had a good chuckle at an ampersand being chased by a tilde.

This Pioneer game is good, but I miss the flexibility of flying that Elite has. Gonna have a rummage around for any remakes of Elite. Oh, and I'm gonna change the label near my Avatar... :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I've still got 2 Amiga 1200's here :D
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

:rolleyes:

All Amiga owners were the archenemies of Atari owners... I had an Atari 520ST (until the 1040) and my bruv had an Amiga... the futile arguments two grown men would have over micro-computers... I would defend my Atari and he'd make futile arguments for the Amiga...

We never talked about computers again after Atari went bust... :blush:
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

So you admit Amiga's were better.......
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

lol :)
Yer always round at my mates cos he had all the games as he had an atari. Lol to think of the 100's of floppies we all used to have :)
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dangerous Bob wrote: So you admit Amiga's were better.......
...erm... no... :ph34r:
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Go on, you know you want to......

Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.