Cctv Software

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Anyone here tried any sort of free dvr/cctv software, had a few undesirables move in over the road and want to wire my webcam up to my WHS201 box to keep an eye on stuff while I'm at work etc.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Yeah, there's a great one I'm using but I can't remember what it's called... grr... man, I should know this, I check it often enough. It does quite a lot too depending on the capabilities of your camera.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Does it run off IP cameras or will a USB webcam work?
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

easy peasy m8, just get mega a deck chair, he will tell you everything he sees.
Mega
Advanced Member

Post by Mega »

Vomit wrote: easy peasy m8, just get mega a deck chair, he will tell you everything he sees.
Make sure you invite Vomit too as I will need a Good Wine (R ) :fish:
Last edited by Mega on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

You'll have to bring your own cheese...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: Does it run off IP cameras or will a USB webcam work?
I think it handles both. I've been on the farm for the past few weeks, but I'll be back at the house as of Thursday/Friday. I've been using it for a couple of years, and I can see it in my mind's eye, but just can't remember what it's called. :huh:

When I get back I'll make it available to you. :)

But, just as you're thinking, at the end of the day the software is only as good as the camera's capabilities. If you're stuff is important enough it might be worth investing in a decent IP Camera. If your camera covers a public area you need to put a CCTV sign up somewhere, which is a good deterrant in itself. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

The camera is nothing awesome, Logitech's Webcam pro 9000, as for signs and shit I don't want to deter them, I just want to know who it is if any tries anything, I've got the rest of it covered...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

A standard webcam isn't going to be that helpful as the evening darkens, dusk, and then night time.

IP Cameras with night vision aren't all that expensive these days, and they're really easy to set up, not that any of this would be difficult for someone with your skills. With an IP Camera you can access it from almost wherever you are.

Anyway, I'll drop a link here on Friday for you, and whoever else is interested. :)
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Cheers
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Sorry for the delay! This is what I'm using on a low spec system. Although it says it is for an IP Camera, it does allow for a Webcam too.

Hope it does all you require of it... the file is 23MB zipped, and probably 23MB unzipped.

<a href="https://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVn ... V0RIRHRVag" target="_blank">IP Camera proggy.</a>

That file will be there until July 7th. There may be newer versions of it out there, but I use this because it's doing what I want it to do.

:gsv:
Last edited by Claw on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Cheers will give it a look over,.