Bf3 Probs

Also BF2, BFBC2

Moderator: Hammer

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Can't play at the mo.

All started a few nights back, was stuttering all over the lace so I rebooted and tried to rejoin and BF3 crashed back to the desktop.
Tried to rejoin a few times, but it just hung.

So next day tried to repair the install but it wouldn't.

Uninstalled it and Origin, and tried to reinstall.
Origin seems to reinstall and patch, but BF3 wont install from either the disc or vis download, Just get a "you must be logged in as an administrator to continue" message popup.

Even got a "you need a newer version of windows" message at one point, but that was probably me trying to get it to install in various compatibility modes.
Only one account on the PC, and it is admin. Also tried running both the origin exe and BF3 setup exe files as admin. Still no joy.

Can't seem to find any proper answers on the net other than reinstalling the OS.
Did mess about Akami netsession, disabled it in the startup, but re-enabled now. still no joy
UAC is off, Virus checker disabled, firewalls disabled.

pissed off to say the least.

What next to try or look at?

Win7pro 32 with E5200 @ 2.5Gh and HD5850 at stock.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Download HD Tune and have a look at the smart state of your drive.
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

might be worth checking your ram as well, got a dodgy stick that will cause all sorts of strange problems.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

HD Tune: WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 5.6 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 62.1 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 49.3 MB/sec
Access Time : 15.8 ms
Burst Rate : 132.5 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 9.1%

HD Tune: WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 Information

Firmware version : 02.01C03
Serial number : WD-WCANKH021912
Capacity : 232.9 GB (~250.1 GB)
Buffer size : 16384 KB
Standard : ATA/ATAPI-7 - SATA II
Supported mode : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)
Current mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)

S.M.A.R.T : yes
48-bit Address : yes
Read Look-Ahead : yes
Write Cache : yes
Host Protected Area : yes
Device Configuration Overlay : yes
Automatic Acoustic Management: yes
Power Management : yes
Advanced Power Management : no
Power-up in Standby : yes
Security Mode : yes
Firmware Upgradable : yes

Partition : 1
Drive letter : C:\
Label :
Capacity : 238475 MB
Usage : 58.67%
Type : NTFS
Bootable : Yes

Looks OK to me.
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

that is not a lot m8, you need something better to look at the smart status, i use hwinfo <a href="http://www.hwinfo.com/" target="_blank">http://www.hwinfo.com/</a> to monitor my pc, it has a lot of detail on disc drives including the smart values. I would give that a go and see what it says about your smart status their.

Have you tried system restore? i wouldn't bother with that just yet, if your drive is failing its probably done a bad job at backing up.

Check your ram, windows has a built in tool for that.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Try one thing at a time Bob. Do you have a spare hdd to try before going too far? How about try to install the game in a different location. How much ram u running? Overclocking?
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Was playing with the overclocking , but it's all back to default, both CPU and GFX. I've uninstalled all the tools (MSI burner etc.).

I have tried installing to a different SATA HD (H: drive, rather than installing a new OS and making another C:)

I did take out 2x 1Gb sticks of RAM just before it all went tits. But as I'm only on win7 32 at present , they were not being used anyway, the 2x2Gb sticks I've left in there are not being fully used anyway.

It's this stupid Admin login message I get.
It comes up both when I try to install from the disc and when I try to DL it as well...

Will try Vom's HD utility to see if that throws anything up (have tried both disabling and enabling write caching on the drive BTW)

Last thing to try will be to reinstall windows, but really don't want to do that.
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

looks like your not alone with this one bob

<a href="http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/batt ... error.html" target="_blank">http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/batt ... or.html</a>

not much help their though

i have read some pages of upset people, seems some have managed to overcome this error
by disabling their av/security software temporarily and some have had some success by disabling
user account control in windows.

Both are worth a try i think, personally i would try them both at the same time.
Last edited by Vomit on Sun May 27, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I've always disabled UAC and I've tried uninstalling all AV and firewalls, disabling anything I can't uninstall.

I'm running out of ideas. I was fairly certain that it's a windows admin problem, playing with the ownership properties for the C: at the mo. But this really isn't my area of expertise, so could end up bricking the lot and having to reinstall anyway.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Theres an error checker on HD Tune Bob, give it a full disk scan, that there doesnt tell us much at all lol
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Download crap cleaner and run that to get rid off all temporary files then try to reinstall.
See if that helps.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Trig, done that. No errors.

Hams, use CC all the time, done that several times.

Looking around the Origin forums, it seems to be a problem with that rather than BF3. Especially as it won't allow me to reinstall Burnout either.

Looks like the last Origin update screwed something up. Theres been a couple of hints in a few posts that another update is due soon, So I may wait for that than reinstall windows, especially as I've seen a few posts sstating that hasn't cured it as well as some that say it does.
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

dont blame you m8, its a lot of work for a maybe
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Full scan with HD tune, no errors.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Have you tried <a href="http://www.revouninstaller.com/" target="_blank">Revo Uninstaller Pro ?</a> You can get a 30 day trial download.

It give you the option to right click on an install.exe and monitor it with revo. What that does is creates a file with a log of everything that the installer installed. You can then uninstall the program i.e Origin and it should remove all traces of the program. Just do an advanced uninstall and click all the black boxes but leave the red ones un ticked.

Maybe worth a try in case Origin is not been fully installed/ un installed and is leaving something behind that is corrupting the program.

I'll post in the garage as well.