Allinone Pc For An Elderly Person

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Any further forward on this? I've been thinking about it a lot, well maybe a little BUT I've been thinking :) Now if you have the time to set it all up then I still think you should dual boot with Linux being default and see how it goes. If she is going to just email, browse and skype her long lost sister in Australia then I reckon it will be a godsend for future problems or lack of. When I say problems I mainly mean virus's and malware. If it turns out this 76 year young lady is not afraid to try "using" a pc then you can change the boot options so she has Win7 as default and can install and play with what she likes. My experience is the older generations are scared stiff of doing anything on the pc's in case they "break it".
Then there is the option if you have barely any time to do all this and just put Win7 on a pc with antivirus and anti malware and worry about the problems later :)
What I've been thinking lately is what would be the perfect setup for an older person. Here are some of my thoughts...
Make the default font larger than normal.
Make icons larger
Make mouse pointer larger
Install MS Office or Libre Office
Install Outlook or Thunderbird
Install whatever browser you the "Admin" uses
Install Skype
Install Google Earth
Make sure hidden files are hidden when your finished setting it up
Upload a bunch of family pics for the wallpaper to auto cycle through
Setup some remote desktop software - essential for the "help it wont work" phone calls plus you could upload new pics for the wallpaper every now and again for them this way.
Make bookmarks on the desktop for them such as ebay, youtube, hotmail or gmail etc if they dont want (or more to the point YOU dont want) to use Outlook or Thunderbird
Make more shortcuts for them so its all on the desktop. I know we all strive for the minimalistic look but I find their a lot better at finding icons on the desktop than having to do two extra clicks to find in the menus.
Make a ghost of the hdd for future incidents thus lessening the time spent on it.
What you put on Linux also put on Windows so again time spent in the future is lessened :)

Anyone think of anything else?

Oh and btw I re-read my last post and I wasnt trying to be a nob Trig although it may come across that way I was trying to point out Trig does this for a living (or so I thought/ still think he does) and that I'm just a muttering noob :D Everyone knows Trig is a southern fairy and will never be as good as the great Northerners but I do give him credit for knowing his stuff :D :P

Class--
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

She had a fall and is off her feet for a while. She looks after her mother too so I will wait for the call when she is ready.
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Ah sorry to hear that mate :( Hope shes up and running soon :)
Should get the pc all ready for her now as her sat on her ass for a while will be a great time to play with a pc :D

Glass half full :D

Class--
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Class-- wrote: Glass half full :D

Yeah why do you think she had a fall m8 :whis:
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Lol had me confused there for a mo :D