On Live

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

BT have just offered me this for free for 3 months.
Was a little intrigued by the idea, especially as they touted the idea that you were able to get the 'playpack bundle' which included Batman, Arkham Asylum.

Didn't know a lot about this technology behind this cloud based stuff, but understand that the software is running on a PC somewhere and I'm controlling the stream to my PC.
So no downloads or local copies.

The down side is, that you suffer from lag controlling it across the net, so MMOs that require quick reactions are probably a no-no.
You also suffer from the graphics side. Streaming it makes the game playable, but you don't really get any decent eye candy.

The upside is that you can play relatively new games on old machinery, provided you've got the bandwidth to control it properly.

Will probably enjoy playing Batman for a couple of months, but can't see me forking out the £7 a month to carry it on after, especially as most of the newer games still cost as much to buy and run on it as the box set or download would.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Missed this post Bob. :blink:

They must know about the constrictions you mentioned. I think they are after people who won't be too savvy about the con's. The concept is good, it's just that there isn't the architecture out there for it unless you are on cable, perhaps. There are still too many people out there falling for the <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> :ph34r: up to :ph34r: <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->20 Squillion Mbps, and not realising they're only getting about 1.8Mbps. The whole market needs a clean up.

Virgin are doubling my 'bandwidth' as of July, which is good, but not quite Korea... :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

true, I can't this to work anywhere apart from home.

on a separate note:
Topic has had 200 views....