What Do Sopa & Pipa Want To Do?

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

<a href="http://www.avforums.com/forums/general- ... -time.html" target="_blank">A 14 minute video that is worth watching.</a> Don't let them break the Internet.
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

so is it dropped for now?
I havent d/l an mp3 for yeasrs now never mind a film cos of all the bullshit and my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Class--
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Soap box paranoia imho... :rolleyes:

They were crying about similar sorts of things about 20 years ago at the emergence of the WWW, at the resurgence of services like CompuServe and AOL, etc. People were crying that Usenet was going to be jumped on, the demise of Bulletin Boards, and so on and so on...

The day that you would not be bothered about all of your neighbours being given the password to your wifi access so that they didn't have to have an account of their own and get their own bandwidth, that is the day you could complain about measures like SOPA and PIPA.

What happens, happens... adapt and move on... that's what I've been doing for the past few decades. At the end of the day it's a war about words, and scares those that don't know what they're talking about, or that are after some cheap publicity... like Ted... :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Quick question as im a bit ignorant in all this. How do you circumnavigate this? My understanding is that it just blocks the name of the server for example "www.gsvgaming.co.uk" but if you have the ip address you can still access the forums. Is this correct?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Class-- wrote: Quick question as im a bit ignorant in all this. How do you circumnavigate this? My understanding is that it just blocks the name of the server for example "www.gsvgaming.co.uk" but if you have the ip address you can still access the forums. Is this correct?
That's a really good summary. You're very good at putting things in a nutshell.

I suppose what concerns some, in addition to this, is that the policy is just vague enough to be a force for being 'Big Brother' in certain circumstances as much as being a force for good.

Anarchy on the Internet would definitely be worse than disputable episodes of 'Big Brother'. The Internet has become more interesting and intriguing as time has gone on. One day we could be so seamlessly integrated into this global network that the word 'Internet' will become irrelavent... imho....
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

So how can u find the ip address of your favourite "sites" :D
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

There are a variety of sites that can provide this info. The questio to asK is, "WHOIS".

Check out this link... <a href="http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp" target="_blank">WHOIS</a> :)

Experiment with gsvgaming.co.uk