Upgrade Vista

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

OK, so the time has come to perhaps ditch the vista setup on the laptop and upgrade to 7.

Is there any easy way to do this, without having to completely start from scratch and reinstall every program. or do I just need to grit my teeth and get on with it....
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Grit your teeth and get on with it. Better to have a fresh clean install imho
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Remember, backup or lose it.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Yep, I always have the same kinda feeling about reinstalls. There has to be a really huge reason for me to reinstall on my main system. But, you will notice a huge difference between W7 and Blister. It will be worth it.

But, while you're at it, it may be a good time to set up a dual boot of W7 with Ubuntu. There are those days when you just want to turn your system on, and be surfing the 'net in less than 30 seconds. Ubuntu will give you that. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

Iv just jumped form Xp to W7 as my work has also jumped so i can keep up with the new OS.

Its so much better and i do like alot.

Start from scratch always best thing in my mind
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Just done a clean install of Win 7 X64 Pro myself this week. Why don't you try the upgrade option first? If that doesn't work you'll have to do a clean install. :lol:
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Hammer wrote: Just done a clean install of Win 7 X64 Pro myself this week. Why don't you try the upgrade option first? If that doesn't work you'll have to do a clean install. :lol:
Clean reinstalls of the same OS are probably the best option if a person isn't very gen'd up on resolving Windows issues. Always an absolute last resort to those tech' minded. As has been suggested already you would be better off doing a back-up and starting out with a clean install Mr. Bob.

:)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...