Crashes

Also BF2, BFBC2

Moderator: Hammer

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

No... this thread ain't about Mega's chopper skills...

I had problems with BC2 crashing and tested the theory of it being my video card. I had one of <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCI-Exhaust-Extra ... 20b85f36c6" target="_blank">these lying around</a> and fit it below my video card. I haven't fitted it directly beneath the video card as that would affect the proper function of the video card's own fan... so I left at least one blanking plate space and dropped this fan in the one below that.

This was only going to be a temporary measure until I had decided on a more long term cooling solution, but I may not need to do anything more as it's doing such a great job. This particular fan may or may not work for you, but I'm convinced my crashes were due to my video card getting a little hot.

The problem emerged just as I started playing on the larger ticket servers. So, I wonder if the longer episodes of the in-game action without the map change interludes may be contributing to the problem. If it is, this fan has fixed it for me.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

BC2 certainly hits the gfx cards hard, although saying that I was still getting EA drops and C2D when my card was underclocked.

I've since changed the heatsink/fan and banged it back up to stock clocks, will run hwmonitor or something in the background and see if its spiking when, or just before I crash..
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

I had 2 game lockups and 2 drop from ea last night. I do get disconnected every hour or so from the game but the game lockups are new.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

I can't comment as I haven't been playing at all in the last 3-4 weeks. Don't know why just seem to have been doing other things.
All was well when I last played.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

I too have had some random lock-ups.

I think last night Katy also crashed out and returned soon after.

Seems like its leaning more towards the game coding than to any individual machine.

Trig was monitoring his temps last night, not sure what figures he got though.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

GPU maxed out at 67oC.

Ran it underclocked for a bit after that and the temps were sat at 53oC but there was only me and Andy on at that point, will find out tonight when I get on and theres a few more on the server if temps have anything else to do with it.

Anyone else running a 4870 that I can compare temps/driver stuff with?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: Anyone else running a 4870 that I can compare temps/driver stuff with?
Me, me, me, me! :w00t:

Hmm... while gently tapping away on the forums here my video card temp is 78C

Drivers ver. 11.4
Last edited by Claw on Tue May 17, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Well I now dont think its temp related, GPU tonight has been a pretty stable 54oC while palying, I've had one EA disco and a C2D...

Running 11.2 here, might see how far back I can go...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I don't think the Cat' performance monitor is doing its job. Keeping the AMD Overdrive on, I changed the Auto fan control to manual and knocked the fan speed from 20% to the bearable noise of 35% and my idle temp dropped to just over 50C. I tried out a max'd out BC2 server with 32 players for about 20 minutes and my card's temp was max'ing out at about 60C.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Accerlero v2 on mine with the turbo module, temps at stock (780/1000) were peaking at 67oC, underclocked (500/500) it was peaking at 54oC but still locked up so dont think its heat related.

I'm reinstalling later and will see what that does.
Will update PB and make suire drivers are all upto date..

i7 860
8Gb RAM
Win7 x64
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Was on for quite a few hours tonight without any issues, bar some lag on our server.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Well full reinstall, havent copied accross my old data litterally just gonna change my screen res and keys and then go from there.

Latest cats and latest PB update..

See how it goes tonight..
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Well lastnite was shocking, crashed big style 3 times..

New drivers, complete reinstall, nothing copied across from old system.

Total crash, GPU hit 64oC.
Clocked GPU down to 500/500 from stock 780/1000.
Total crash.
Ran msconfig, took out pretty much everthing.
Ran Furmark, xtreme burn in, black screen then lock up, GPU hit 74oC...

Changed clocks to 780/500, ran furmark xtreme burn in for nearly 8 hours with no fault.
Sooo, looks like it could be the ram on the GFX card causing my crashes, might see if I can get a quick game in and see what it does with the clocks set like this.