Bioware Presents: The State Of The Game Industry

PC & Console gaming
Geist
Advanced Member

Post by Geist »

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We were nearing the end of active work on design content for Dragon Age... there was still a lot more bug fixing/polishing/ and fill-content generation ahead but the core plot/writing and level design was finished. My work was rapidly shifting into that of reviewing what the team had put together.

Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn't going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly... though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I'd rather work on something lighter, like a shooter.

Through a series of circumstances it was decided that with my not wanting to participate on Dragon Age 2 it was time to transition in a new lead to finish the Dragon Age console versions and ramp up for Dragon Age 2. I moved out of an active lead role though I stayed on for several months performing quality assurance and helping with the transition. I completed the game several times during this period and racked up the second or third highest bug totals... so, still busy but doing something quite different.

After this was over and the content locked down I took a sabbatical. When I returned to work I was hoping that there would be a new project lined up for me.

There wasn't, not really. I did some high level design for a potential new project but a few months later I realized that, given cutbacks and other things that it really seemed unlikely that the project I had been 'assigned' to was ever going to materialize. I can't/won't go into any other details other than to point to an old entry I made about this and reiterate: "I'm not the same person I was when I started, and BioWare isn't the same company. "

So I quit, giving a couple months notice to finish up my obligations on the new/hypothetical project and then in early September 2009 I left BioWare.

- Brent Knowles
Lead Designer for Dragon Age: Origins<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was looking into Dragon Age 2 as the release has crept up on me, but I'm decidedly unimpressed with the overall game from what I've seen so far.
Last edited by Geist on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Geist - Cantankerous -
- GSV - Hexus - I'm Going In - MarlinsUK - TNGC -
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I would really like to get into a game like this, but there is something missing about them that doesn't give me the same buzz as other games can... and I can't put my finger on why.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...