Digi Camcorder

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Ok, some help/input required if you would please.

We need to get my mother a digital camcorder for filming the gran kid, I know next to nothing on both subjects so a little help would be appreciated:

I've come up with FLIP ULTRA II HD8GB HARD DRIVE HD CAMCORDER for £115, the reasons behind this unit is it looks very simple to use, however i think she may struggle with holding/gripping it with good effect.
Or should we be looking to get something larger and therefore more conventional ?
Our only sort of wants at the moment are hdmi output for easy TV playback and less than £250 max, obviously the cheaper the better, but don't hold back my quidco account needs a top up :drib: .

Any help or input is greatly appreciated, or shall I take a trip to jessops/comet etc. and get ram raided by the salesman into getting a certain model.
As you can tell i'm not genned up on this subject at all ;)
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

<a href="http://www.eldergadget.com/camcorder/se ... camcorders" target="_blank">Digicams for the elderly</a>

<a href="http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/camcorders/pa ... -50000537/" target="_blank">Sounds pretty good</a>

Personally I think the size of the cam is important. These small flip thingies must rely on a lot of auto stability gismos cos they are so small. Tiny cam tiny lens. Just my pennysworth. Never owned a corder.

Have a browse of those cnet reviews.
Last edited by Nellyboy on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Thanks for that Nelly, going to have a plod round town Saturday at the shops as I brave them to pick glasses up (not for shopping ;) ), so will be an ideal opportunity to hopefully see some cams in the flesh.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

In the end we got her a sony memory card recorder cam for a £150, now just need a memory card, this requires a remortgage at high street prices :P .
For the cash i'm a bit neutral, expected more for modern tech but not really sure overall. Anyway its job done, and another tick off the list !.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Had a quick look. Sounds ok for the money. I am not a fan of sony memory sticks. Dead end tech if only sony but what the heck if it works then its perfect for your Mother. Happy Mum is more important than happy tech.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

The biggest thing about this unit is she will find all the options a minefield and so have I for that matter, for the money i'm sure she'll get away with it eventually and if she takes to it, we'll replace it with something better.
To be fair to her though, she manages well with her panacronic lumix camera, but she's had 1000000000 attempts at taking pics of wee Isaac.

She is however truly awesome with kitchen based activities :P