Blu Ray

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Hi all,

Her indoors is bugging me like hell for a xmas gift idea.... so ive suggested a bluray player for the front room, now this leaves a whole variety of options....... should we hold on for a good package (a lot come with films bundled), or is there a clear market leader ? what should be concerns, loading time, wifi ? I'm at a loss at the moment.

Budget sub £200, my tv is a sony bravia lcd jobby so sony might be a good shout for remote compatibility, however I have a Onkyo upscaling player and its the business so maybe an onkyo would be a good shout. Decsisions decisions !

Answers on a postcard :) thanks.
D3s3rt_F0x
Advanced Member

Post by D3s3rt_F0x »

andrew wrote: Hi all,

Her indoors is bugging me like hell for a xmas gift idea.... so ive suggested a bluray player for the front room, now this leaves a whole variety of options....... should we hold on for a good package (a lot come with films bundled), or is there a clear market leader ? what should be concerns, loading time, wifi ? I'm at a loss at the moment.

Budget sub £200, my tv is a sony bravia lcd jobby so sony might be a good shout for remote compatibility, however I have a Onkyo upscaling player and its the business so maybe an onkyo would be a good shout. Decsisions decisions !

Answers on a postcard :) thanks.
Right here's my run down from what I know from buying mine and looking at the newer models. Generally I'd only touch Sony Blu-Ray players some have compatibility with the DRM on new movies and you need firmware updates which aren't always forthcoming although you can generally play anything on the Sony's and are updated pretty regularly although I never had to do my S360.

Basically I've broken it down into a few options for you depending on what you feel you need/want.

No Wi-Fi/No 3-D:

Sony BDPS360 this is the player I bought last xmas, you can get it with no films for around £70+, solid player like I say I couldn't fault it, loaded fairly quickly, cheap and is just a bog standard player with no frills. Doesn't come with the online player functions with built in BBC iplayer etc of some of the newer Sony models and won't support 3D movies if you ever got a 3D TV.

No Wi-fi 3D compatible:

Sony BDPS470 one of the newer Sony players with BBC iplayer etc built in, also supports Blu-Ray, only issue is no wi-fi, so you'd need an ethernet cable to access those features. Can get it for around £150 at the moment.

Wifi + 3D compatible:

Sony BDPS570 this player is about £170 comes with all the BBC iPlayer and other online features, plus wifi to access them and get firmware updates easily. From what I've read a very highly rated player, that also supports 3D, but that depends on if you want the online features and the 3D, for the future proofing.

Thats my run down of the ones I'd go for; personally I'd either go S360 or the S570 but like I say depends if you want the online features and the 3D. Only other thing I'd say is if your determined to buy from Richer Sounds for the 5 year warranty replace the S360 with the S370 which is the model after but its like £50 more.
Last edited by D3s3rt_F0x on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

So what is the online content that goes with some lu-ray movies? Is it just bullshit desktop wallpapers and signup for spam?

I got a Blu-ray player thrown in with me telly but aint used it yet.
Last edited by Nellyboy on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Thanks for the input.

I should point out that f0x did bring his player round my gaff a good while ago and I was impressed with it at the time, we did back to back channel tests of the same film with my upscaling Onkyo. Yes we are sad. It wasn't totally shown up but there is a margin in it.

The iplayer feature doesn't interest me as we get that through our virgin cable anyway. 3D doesn't bother me as I can't see me getting a 3D tv anytime soon.

Will have a trip down RS if i'm not working on sunday to see what the score/consensus is with them.
D3s3rt_F0x
Advanced Member

Post by D3s3rt_F0x »

Nellyboy wrote: So what is the online content that goes with some lu-ray movies? Is it just bullshit desktop wallpapers and signup for spam?

I got a Blu-ray player thrown in with me telly but aint used it yet.
It's just guff like extra commentary and stuff like that, I wouldn't bother personally Nelly.
andrew wrote: I should point out that f0x did bring his player round my gaff a good while ago and I was impressed with it at the time, we did back to back channel tests of the same film with my upscaling Onkyo. Yes we are sad. It wasn't totally shown up but there is a margin in it.
You notice it a lot more on a 1080p TV and anything above 32", trust me on my dad's 46" it is soooo much better it isn't even funny.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Well i've sent santa a letter, requesting a S370. Roll on christmas day :P