Virginmedia

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Do any of you lot ever have to call Virgin? I have had nothing but hassle with them. I would even think to transfer to a Telephone ADSL company.

Slow speeds and fooked e-mail accounts and not one person can help.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

I'm with Virgin and have been since the NTL days.

I'm on the 20mb service and on the whole I am very happy.

However I have had a couple of occasions where I've had to call them and that is where the problems start.

You speak to someone in India that may speak English but in an Indian accent which you can't understand.

They also seem to not understand you either.

They proceed to take you through all the checks which you've already done 100 times before you took the decision to phone them.

Then they either tell you there is nothing wrong or you need an Engineer.

Last weekend on the Sunday (8th Aug) I had no service during the day and called them up.

Before they took me through all the checks I made them aware that I had no cable light on the modem which basically means there is no signal to my modem.

They checked whether there was any scheduled work going on, which there wasn't, and so decided that I needed an Engineer.

After looking at the appointments they could have an Engineer with me on Monday 16th :eek: :eek:

Now that is complete and utter ********.

How can they even begin to think that that is any where near acceptable??

Luckily my service came back on during the afternoon as I had hoped it would but I didnt cancel the Engineer just in case.

On a previous occasion, unrelated to this one, after speaking with the Indian Call Centre, they told me that there was nothing wrong with my service whatsoever.

Even though my connection kept dropping and I was losing my net for days at a time.

Once they told me there was nothing wrong I nearly chucked all the equipment out the window but after a bit of looking around I tried their Newsgroup thingy.

Left a message on it and within no time at all I had a reply saying they had checked my line and my power levels were wrong and when could they send an Engineer to look at it?

Now that was impressive and I was happy.

I'm not sure though if the Newsgroups are still active.

But as I said, on the whole I'm very happy because fortunately I don't have many problems, but when you do get a problem then thats where it all goes wrong :(
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

I have virgin cable internet and cable tv. The TV is slow but acceptable (the menus and on demand) and the internet has only gone down from memory a couple of times in ten months.
When we upgraded the TV package, the telephone calls were in a word 'frustrating' but it all got sorted in the end.

They are a bit like car insurance companies, its a necessary evil that you have to call them up and waste an hour of your life !
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

andrew wrote: I have virgin cable internet and cable tv. The TV is slow but acceptable (the menus and on demand) and the internet has only gone down from memory a couple of times in ten months.
When we upgraded the TV package, the telephone calls were in a word 'frustrating' but it all got sorted in the end.

They are a bit like car insurance companies, its a necessary evil that you have to call them up and waste an hour of your life !
Yep, we have Virgin cable here too, and as for issues they are very few and far between. Their support bods are usually really on the ball too.

However, the fact they have recently been making changes in their outsourcing may have an impact on service recently. For example, they now have very little control over our mail boxes now that Google look after them. I deleted one mail account to make room for another address and found that I have to wait 90 days before I can reuse that slot. Virgin have no jurisdiction over that figure.

If you are still having issues and know 100% that it's not your end, tell them to send an engineer out. If your modem is integrated into the Virgin box, then ask them for a separate modem. If you are the only person, or one of a few in your area with cable you may need to have an attenuator fitted. Alternatively if cable is popular in your area you may need a 'signal' boost.

The key is to not give up, make loads and loads of phone calls and keep referring and cross referencing to them. When you have a history of calls they will see something needs to be done, and you will then get freebies, if not then the leverage to expect them. Because of their nonchalance we once got the full TV package service for 12 months for free. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I've had 2 problems since I originally had it installed, not counting the fact I couldnt setup my email/webspace as it said I wasnt an NTL customer, yet I was connected at the time..
One fault was with the main box, engineer moved me from one socket to the next and it worked fine.
Guy came round from a 3rd party to collect the TV box, he couldnt get in as we were at work, so he disconnected our box on the front of the house, which killed the internet.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Well, it's good top hear that they will do something if you bother them enough. I'll just keep hassling them.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Engineer came round this morning, so back up to 20Mb for the time being. Just got to find more faults to get more credit on the account.
Rasputin

ImageImage