Advice Needed...

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Hey guys... what advice would you give <a href="http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/9073 ... splay.html" target="_blank">this gentleman...</a>

This is his problem....

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Motherboard unable to initialize LCD Display.
Respected Asrock Technical Team,

Hello! This is Apoorva from Mumbai, India. I am using an Asrock Motherboard since February, 2008. I am using Asrock945G-DVI motherboard. Yesterday, I dis-assembled the desktop PC by myself though this happened to be my first experience but I still went ahead and did it since my computer wasn’t cleaned for approx 11 months. There was lots of dust inside the tower so I decided to clean the system by myself. Here’s what I did:

1) I Turned Off the computer and unplugged all the external cables including the Power cord from the tower/cabinet.

2) I started removing all the components one by one such as: Sata Hard Disk, 3 DDR2 RAMs, Nvidia 7300LE Graphics Card, SATA DVD Writer, Front Panel Audio Header & USB 2.0 Header cable (Onboard) etc… from inside the tower.
Pls Note: I don’t have any Sound Card installed since there’s an Onboard Realtek Sound Card available.

3) Next, I unplugged 20 Pin Motherboard ATX Power connector & 4 Pin CPU ATX 12V Connector from the motherboard.

After doing all of these, I unscrewed probably 3 screws securing the motherboard and also unlocked the four locks securing the “CPU Fan and Heatsink” and removed it. After this, I removed the motherboard and kept it on a newspaper since I didn’t had Anti-static bag.

Now, following is what I used for the cleaning (Computer Servicing) purpose:

1. Painter’s brush (Mid Size).
2. A Mini Rubber kind of Hand Pump.
(Image: <a href="http://www.eredirocca.it/immagini_rocca/mini-pompa.jpg)" target="_blank">http://www.eredirocca.it/immagini_rocca/mini-pompa.jpg)</a>
3. I.P.A. Cleaner. Following was mentioned on the plastic bottle used for:
a) For any type of Circuit cleaner.
b ) Removes flox and dust from the PCB Circuit Board and Components.
c) Method of applying by Cotton rubbing on PCB.

This was basically a circuit liquid cleaner and this liquid feels quiet cold when touched however, the electronic store from where I purchased it said that this liquid can be used with a cotton to clean the motherboard and it won’t affect it since this liquid tends to gets escaped in the air immediately.

Now, I first started by cleaning all the components with the Painter’s brush and Mini Hand Pump such as DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Graphics Card, DVD Writer, 2 WDC Sata HDD, etc… but didn’t use Circuit liquid cleaner on them.

Now, for motherboard, following is what I did:
Since there was good amount of dust being accumulated on this Asrock Motherboard so:

1. I first moved the painter’s brush all over the place to get rid of the brush sitting on the board. Then, I used the Mini Rubber Hand pump to blow air at as much speed as I can with the help of my right and left hands to get rid of all the dust.

2. After making sure that 90% of the overall dust is out, I took a bunch of Cotton and this I.P.A. Circuit Liquid Cleaner and started cleaning the Motherboard with the cotton first dipped in the small quantity of Circuit Liquid Cleaner taken in a bowl and then spreading it all over the motherboard. I did the cleaning on both side of this Asrock Motherboard.

After all the cleaning was done, I kept this Motherboard in the Asrock Package Box which I preserved it right from the day I had purchased it, since I didn’t have an Anti-static bag.

In the mean time, I also noticed that the Heatsink paste had dried out under the Heatsink Fan and on the board. So, I decided to apply a new Heatsink at the bottom of the Heatsink Fan. I kept everything aside after this and was waiting for Motherboard to get dried out since the liquid was applied.

After 24 hrs, I removed the motherboard from the box and placed the Heatsink Fan on it, secured all the four locks, placed all the components back on the board and finally Re-assembled everything back in the Tower/Cabinet.

After all this, when I connected the VGA cable of my newly purchased Benq G2420HD LCD Monitor into the Onboard Graphics connector and when I power on the computer, my system simply doesn’t initialize. The LCD Monitor’s power button shows Solid Amber (Orange) light and just doesn’t initialize and the display is completely blank. Even when I attach it to Nvidia Graphics Card’s VGA connector, still the LCD Monitor doesn’t initialize. I also tried attaching my old CRT Monitor to the onboard but still the same issue. I removed the CMOS battery while the computer was Powered Off and kept it aside for few mins thinking that trying to rest the CMOS will work but it did not.

So, where could be the issue exactly? Could you kindly assist?

Regards,
Apoorva.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Last edited by Claw on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Goto Dell's website and buy a PC and leave the internals the **** alone.
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

I have to agree with Thane
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

I smell bs on that one.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I would tell him to call his local IT support
Rasputin

ImageImage
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Rasputin wrote: I would tell him to call his local IT support
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I'm with Thane.

Though I'd ask if he's plugged PSU in and turned on at the wall.....
Didn't say he had.... :fish:
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.