Oh Snow!

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Anyone badly affected? Snowed in? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Very white outside, about 3-4 inches.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Lots of stuff freezing up at home and work, mostly door/padlocks and my front gates that i then proceeded to dig the gravel up by..... woops.

As for transport; Its bad on the rural roads and upto some of the places i go with work, but essentially not 'that' bad in the grand scheme of things. My bora has only been stuck once (pushed out), but my dad got his little fiesta stuck at work (farm) and was dragged clear by a 1950's tractor and a rusty old chain.

The itv national news makes me laugh though, 'oh my god the snow!!! blizzards !!! ohhh my god we're running out of salt !!! ahhhhh the south of england will perish ahhhh !! ' . Still its better than helicopters in afgan or expenses.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Dam I sound like a moaning old sod, the future is looking good for you all :P
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I want Spring, and I want it now...

I`ve travelled the world, all hot places, but I`ve never been to Europe. Britain is the only place I`ve seen snow... and my friends from Europe all tell me that we don`t have proper snow here. (ie, the snow feels different)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Pretty tricky here, but not as bad as parts that had 6 inches to a foot. First few flakes that fell yesterday had all the "jobsworths" here wanting to go home. We tried to convince everyone conditions were going to improve but had to bow to the mass hysteria. Sad thing is that one person that shot out the door promply crashed her car down the road. A couple of hours later things were so much better. and conditions easy. Some people just go into panic mode. Of course all the people the dont turn up will want paying, as if the company is a charity and should foot the bill for the bad weather and us lot that do bother to make the effort are worse off. Well tough t***ies to them :)
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Clingy wrote: Pretty tricky here, but not as bad as parts that had 6 inches to a foot. First few flakes that fell yesterday had all the "jobsworths" here wanting to go home. We tried to convince everyone conditions were going to improve but had to bow to the mass hysteria. Sad thing is that one person that shot out the door promply crashed her car down the road. A couple of hours later things were so much better. and conditions easy. Some people just go into panic mode. Of course all the people the dont turn up will want paying, as if the company is a charity and should foot the bill for the bad weather and us lot that do bother to make the effort are worse off. Well tough t***ies to them :)
I have a friend who works in a psychiatric unit (might I add that they are not my 'friend' for that reason!) said she turned up for work when many others didn't. I don't know why it works this way, but for some reason they will get paid time and a half for not turning in while nothing changes for her despite the effort she made... barmy!... :rolleyes:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Sorry Clingy, gonna bite at that last point..........
I've been on both sides of this before with the old factory i worked at for 18month, didn't get paid for anything unless you were there working. Current employer pays long sick leave and is very hospitable to all events like dentist/docs visits/funerals/family/bad weather etc etc.
Obviosuly this relies heavily on respecting the system and its boundaries but I much prefer to be appreciated in this way rather than paid on piece work, I do, as do all my colleagues make every effort to get to site though.
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

The company I'll be leaving soon told everyone to stay home if it was not possible or dangerous to travel. Then a couple of days later when the ones that couldn't make it in finally did they were told they arn't getting paid for the time and they're up shit creek. If they had known this they'd probably of tried to get into work and that would've put them at risk.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Thane wrote: The company I'll be leaving soon told everyone to stay home if it was not possible or dangerous to travel. Then a couple of days later when the ones that couldn't make it in finally did they were told they arn't getting paid for the time and they're up shit creek. If they had known this they'd probably of tried to get into work and that would've put them at risk.
I wonder if it was due to a duty of care thing. If a company forced an expectation for someone to be in work regardless of the harm they could do to themselves it may make them liable if anything did happen to that employee.
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

May well of been but they missed out on the fact that not having a policy and retroactively not paying staff really pisses people off.
Last edited by Thane on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

andrew wrote: Sorry Clingy, gonna bite at that last point..........
I've been on both sides of this before with the old factory i worked at for 18month, didn't get paid for anything unless you were there working. Current employer pays long sick leave and is very hospitable to all events like dentist/docs visits/funerals/family/bad weather etc etc.
Obviosuly this relies heavily on respecting the system and its boundaries but I much prefer to be appreciated in this way rather than paid on piece work, I do, as do all my colleagues make every effort to get to site though.
No worries m8. I totally understand and as much as I go on about things here I am lucky and have dedicated staff working directly for me. Years ago when I was in charge of a dozen or so peeps I could reward those that put the effort in and penalise the ones that were taking the p***. Regrettably nowadays I cannot do that and have to treat everyone the same. Shame really because the hard workers suffer. I can't even publicly praise anyone now for good work......as a company we are told we cannot reward long service as it is discriminatory! We have yet to be told that we cannot discriminate against the incompetent people although I dare say that will come soon :rolleyes: .

As a company we pay sickpay, BUPA, Health Insurance, profit sharing, turkey at Xmas, annual trips out...yada yada....but there are still some that want more and wont put themselves out.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

IMHO its all about give and take and sadly there is a few that just want to take take for all its worth, worringly the more I see of the world the more I begin to appreciate its the latter crowd that are the majority in these circumstances . Sad really, but thats life.