Anyone

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Hi

Has anyone tried these or anything like them or know anyone that has experienced them and if so are they any good.

Not necessarily this model but just the idea

<a href="http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... ationKey=0" target="_blank">http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... onKey=0</a>
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

not seen or tried but all the reviews seem favourable. Saves you having to run cables the only thing you have to be sure of is that all sockets are on same circuit. I know mine at home aing I've got upstairs and downstairs on sep loops.
Last edited by mcmav on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Thought about it but never could be arsed, let me know how you get on could come in handy..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

We had a Government customer request a small quantity of these recently - (but they wanted the <a href="http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... ationKey=0" target="_blank">HighSpeed version</a>) ideal for basic home use if you just want a hassle free set up for a computer or network capable games console in another room without having to route network cables or buy a wireless solution.

You only get two adapters, one that attaches to the router and the other that connects to the PC/PS2/XBox, etc.

The only negative thing I would say about them is that it would use up a wall socket, and would want to weigh up the pro's and con's of its 14Mbps max transfer in the intended solution.

Some Links...

<a href="http://www.digitalera.co.uk/product/dev ... r-kit.html" target="_blank">DigitalEra</a>

<a href="http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product ... cts_id=243" target="_blank">Broadband Stuff</a>

<a href="http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/service/dLANFAQ.html" target="_blank">dLAN FAQ</a>

They are due to bring out 200Mbps versions soon.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Claw wrote:
The only negative thing I would say about them is that it would use up a wall socket, and would want to weigh up the pro's and con's of its 14Mbps max transfer in the intended solution.

With Broad Bean speeds being a max of about 8 Mbps atm I'd doubt for most that it'd be a real problem tho claw ?

I've found home network speed is only a problem when doing backups to another computer, but how many people do that ? and generally I can just go have a drink or something and come back later once it's finished.

As Mav pointed out the house should be wired up with an upstairs ring main, a downstairs ring main and a kitchen ring main. Unless you live in a bungalow ofcourse ;) :fish: so connecting from upstairs to downstairs would be a problem if I'm not mistaken?

Wonder how these affect RCD's and MCB's in modern electrical instalations.

But the wireless problems are the reason we just ran cables under the floor and up through the walls while we were re-building the house :D
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Well my house has a seperate up and down ring main so I guess I'm not gonna have much luck as I want to put a PC downstairs in the lounge and one upstairs in the spare room :(
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Eagle wrote: Well my house has a seperate up and down ring main so I guess I'm not gonna have much luck as I want to put a PC downstairs in the lounge and one upstairs in the spare room :(
Is wireless an option? You'll get faster transfers than the dLAN you were thinking about, and it would probably only cost you another 20 to 30 quid more to get kitted out... also allowing you to add visiting lappy's and other future additions to your network beyond what the dLAN would allow, etc...

I'm sat here in my lounge now with my lappy... 'ang on I'll go and sit on another chair in the room here to demonstrate the power of wireless... yep... see, I don't need to sit next to a socket, nothing in the lounge needs to be rearranged or moved except perhaps your wife when you want to demonstrate the virtues of wireless... :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

I was thinking that wireless would be the only option but thought that these dLan things sounded like a good idea.

Perhaps I'll just completely rewire the house so that all the sockets are on one ring main :rolleyes:

Oh and I don't believe that you really moved from one chair to another whilst making your last post, I believe you made it up for added drama :whis:
Last edited by Eagle on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Eagle wrote: Oh and I don't believe that you really moved from one chair to another whilst making your last post, I believe you made it up for added drama :whis:
Okay... so we only have the one chair in our "lounge" which we share between us and the fifteen kids... but it suits us - we each get a go at it while the kids are on different shifts doing the chimney cleaning, etc... I may have given up my turn in that chair to show you the value of wireless... but be sure of this... even though I sat on our dusty floor in exactly the place where the roof leaks through, right were the rats and mice run by... be sure of this, it wasn't for drama... :whis:
Last edited by Claw on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Drama queen :whis:
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Dont these things work on the earth circuit of your ring?
Therefore, you should be able to connect them upstairs and downstairs as you have one single earth point?
Could even hook one up to your bathroom sink :)
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

Hippy wrote: Dont these things work on the earth circuit of your ring?
Therefore, you should be able to connect them upstairs and downstairs as you have one single earth point?
Could even hook one up to your bathroom sink :)
If its been earthed properly which most havent :P
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Found a site somewhere with some Q & A's and basically the answer was that they have to be on the same ring main not seperate ones so that puts paid to that idea.
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

If they worked on the earth circuit, would you get anything, isn't that the point of the earth circuit ? that all electrical activity on the earth circuit is directed to earth ?

Maybe I'm confused