Hammer Set To Return

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Ok admit it you've all missed me. I'm sorting out a new PC rig so hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be able to return to some gaming.
COD4 is not to bad on my rig, but any BF2 mod's take ages to load and my A64x2 4200, 2g of DDR (yes DDR1) ram, Radeon 1950xt and slow sata HD's are getting long in the tooth. Hence the reason for me not gaming anymore.

So I'm buying into some top end hardware. I'll tell you the specs once I've built the new rig.

What multiplayer games are you playing at the moment?

I'm looking forwards to getting back to some online fun with you guys. :gsv:
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Well BF2 has been getting a bit boring due to so many haxors and scripters. :(

AAO3 has been a bit of a non starter. :lol:

Cod 4, never played it, dont want to. ;)

ARMA 2 has just been released, waiting an update from Nelly when he's got it. :whis:

Been playing a bit of CSS lately but I doubt most will want to play that. :huh:
madman045
GSV Regular

Post by madman045 »

CSS, EVE and COD4 at the moment

I have BF2 with all the addons and BF2142 with addon, just havent got round to installing them
<a href="http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/madman045" target="_blank">Image</a>
Mega
Advanced Member

Post by Mega »

Bf2 :2t: and BF2 :2t: and bfII :2t: and BF TWO :2t: and bf2 :2t: and battlefield 2 :2t: and battlefield II :2t: and Battlefield Two :2t: - a bit of Cod 4 not a lot just a little and As eagle said AA3 not up to much and Arma 2 just installed but don't seem that good but time will tell :2t: :mm2:

GOSH LOOK AT ALL THOSE MEDALS
Last edited by Mega on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I've been playing quite a lot on a Russian server. Always clean good games with decent guys.

I've found that the 64 seat busy servers are typically good indicators of a responsible admin.

The Russian server I play on is really good though, I've got it in my favourites and will post its IP next time I have a look.

:aao:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hi Hammer, boy have I missed you mate. Firstly good to hear you are in the position to buy a new rig mate.

I play cod4 on the 7cav server, loads of rules but very good bunch

Ordered Arma2, the ingame movies of it just looked so impressive I had to have it. Problem is with any rig 33fps is the max unless you have something special I have read.

Good to have you back soon mate.

What components are you getting then Hammer?
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Nellyboy wrote: Hi Hammer, boy have I missed you in that position mate.

I play cod4 on the 7cav server, loads of rules but very good bunch
Ordered Arma2, the ingame movies of it just looked so impressive I had to have it. Problem is with any rig 33fps is the max unless you have something special I have read.
Good to have you on your back soon mate.
What components are you getting then Hammer?
Building a system with all new components based around icore 7, from the case up. Should be a fairly beefy system and keep my monitor going @ 1650x1080. Sticking with ATI, the 4890 looks good value for money at the moment and I can always add a second card further down the line if needed. SSD should help with level load times as well, putting a G.skill Falcon 128gb in it as well as a 1tb data drive.

Oh I've missed you too Nelly :fish:
Stocky
Advanced Member

Post by Stocky »

Alright H? I see you've got your new parts, care to reveal the spec so we can all drool over them? :drib:
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Stocky wrote: Alright H? I see you've got your new parts, care to reveal the spec so we can all drool over them? :drib:
Yeah mate I've got a fecking expensive paperweight at the moment :angry:

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz Max / Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard / Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3 Bundle + World in Conflict Game

G.Skill Falcon 128GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 XT 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

CoolerMaster Real Power 1250w Power Supply

Coolermaster HAF 932 Case - Black (No PSU)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series 7.1 Sound Card

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter

OcUK Value 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Adapter (for the SSD drive)

Got the system up and running within hours. Started installing Vista64 Ultimate SP2 and was getting BSOD. Started checking everything was plugged in correctly, which it was. Tried my older Vista64 Ultimate SP1 and was getting random crashes.

Ran Memtest86+ and it showed errors straight away. So started checking memory modules and identified the faulty one on the 3rd of July.

Then the fun started with OcUK trying to get a RMA number, got a number on the 6th. I posted the memory on the 7th OcUK got it on the 8th and I'm still waiting for a replacement. I contacted them today via their webnote and nobody had the decency to reply.
Checked my RMA status tonight when I got in from work 2-10 and it's still shown as "This item is currently going through our testing procedure."
Feck me how long does it take to test memory. They could have had it tested and replaced within an hour of receiving it.
They have somebody who is building up the overclocked bundles and testing them. All they had to do was try the memory in one of those systems.

Looks like I'm going to have to phone them tomorrow :fish:

I got vista installed with the working 4g of memory and it passed memtest and prime ok. I have a basic system ready to go when I get some memory back.
The HAF 932 is a good case with plenty of airflow. It's also quiet. Max temps while running prime are low 80's on air and you can hardly hear it. I had a quick go on COD4 and the GFX card didn't seem to spin the fan any louder. Must be the large fan on the side of the case. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eBH9IFeA0M" target="_blank">Video review of the case.</a>

It's a doddle to build a PC without watercooling it and the case is all tool less, just like you Stocky ;)
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Just got an email this morning saying my memory is going to be replaced. Good news :2t: probably wont get it till next week now :angry:
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Memory is due to be dispatched on Monday, so should have it on Tuesday. I'm away next Thursday & Friday so it will probably be next Saturday evening before I get to game online again. Need to stress test the new rigg first.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Replacement memory has arrived. Running Memtest at the moment, looking good so far :2t: