Free Battlefield Game Planned

General Gaming News
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

<a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080121/20080121005169.html" target="_blank">Battlefield Heroes Leads the Way for EA's New 'Play 4 Free' Business Model</a> announced plans for Battlefield Heroes, a free "cartoon-style shooter" in the Battlefield series due this summer (<a href="http://www.gamershell.com/" target="_blank">thanks Gamer's Hell</a>). If the cartoon part sounds like Team Fortress 2, the character shot in an <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/techn ... ref=slogin" target="_blank">article on the game in the New York Times</a> (thanks Jhereg) and the <a href="http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/screenshots.asp" target="_blank">Battlefield Heroes Websit</a>e also conveys a TF2 flavor. The game is described as "leading EA’s new web-focused free to download, free to play business model which generates revenue through advertising and micro-transactions":

MUNICH, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At the Digital, Life, Design Conference (DLD) in Munich, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS - News) today unveiled Battlefield Heroes™, an all-new Play 4 Free cartoon-style shooter that will bring classic Battlefield gameplay to an all new mass audience. Available for download at <a href="http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/" target="_blank">www.battlefield-heroes.com</a> this summer, Battlefield Heroes is EA’s first title that is offered completely for free, and features a built-in matchmaking system to ensure that players of equal skill are paired together for fair play. Developed by DICE in Stockholm, Battlefield Heroes is leading EA’s new web-focused free to download, free to play business model which generates revenue through advertising and micro-transactions. With zero barriers to entry, now anyone can be a hero on the battlefield!

“Online gaming garners a massive audience,â€
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

So we are moving into the age of gaming advertisement. As long as their not too intrusive can't see this as a bad idea as personally I'm not very bothered by what I see in adverts.
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

I guess its one way to tackle the insane amount of piracy on the PC platform, PC Gaming is going to die if something doesn't happen.
Stocky
Advanced Member

Post by Stocky »

What you talkin about Ginge?? <_<

:whis:
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

lol its true, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Crysis dev's are really pissed that Crysis sold so badly due to everyone grabbing it on torrents. They are now talking of porting it to the consoles to try and get some of the money back.

I can see the future of PC Gaming is going to be free games such as this BF one with adverts, and MMORPG's which have monthly subs or purchasable content like the Korean MMORPG's.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

I think the games should be split up into 2 user groups. Online and Offline. Offer a free dl of a level to give a flavour of online mp gaming and the same for offline sp game. Sell them seperately. I would not bother playing sp if I had to buy it with no mp functionality.

Just dump the sp and go mp only. That will sort out the pirates. :pirate:

How many buyers would play single player campaign only? Not many. To make it work its got to me multi player only to get back the money of development.

Just my opinion, feel free to shoot me down in flames (Eagle).

:gsv:
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Inoshishi wrote: lol its true, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Crysis dev's are really pissed that Crysis sold so badly due to everyone grabbing it on torrents. They are now talking of porting it to the consoles to try and get some of the money back.

I can see the future of PC Gaming is going to be free games such as this BF one with adverts, and MMORPG's which have monthly subs or purchasable content like the Korean MMORPG's.

TBH I would be happy with in Game Ads, instead of pay monthly. I don't see anything wrong with ads on loading screens or ads on billboards as long as they fit in with the game/map. I wouldn't like to be playing a game based in the medevil times and see ad for Nike and Cole plastered all over the place.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Rasputin wrote: TBH I would be happy with in Game Ads, instead of pay monthly. I don't see anything wrong with ads on loading screens or ads on billboards as long as they fit in with the game/map. I wouldn't like to be playing a game based in the medevil times and see ad for Nike and Cole plastered all over the place.
Yes AD 1300 you can view the new advert from Nike. "We are launching a range of trainers for lesbians. They are called Nikes for Dykes. The come with an extra long tongue and you can get them off with one finger".

Should fit in well with the gameplay.

How long have been in GSV? Well it was back in the UT days. I've bought that UT2003 & 2004. Played AAO free download and one of the best games around. Bought BF2 + first add on. Bought HL and added TF2. The latest is COD4 which I can't put down.

If software houses release good games people will buy them. I could have downloaded Farcry,Crysis, Stalker etc etc but I aint bovvered because I've no interest in them.
I'll read review sites and listen to GSV opions first. The new UT3 looks good but I now prefer games that use modern day weapons. I.E. AAO, Cod4. If I want a bit of fun i'll play TF2.

I don't think it's anything to do with piracy, not in my house anyway.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Hammer wrote: Yes AD 1300 you can view the new advert from Nike. "We are launching a range of trainers for lesbians. They are called Nikes for Dykes. The come with an extra long tongue and you can get them off with one finger".
lol :D

No I agree, I have bought BF2 and the CS:S and what not, and like you didn't bother buying Crysis and farcry and other games of the same ike. But with things like WoW I would rather see Ads than pay monthly.

In BF 2 would any one mind if on the loading screen while waiting to get in game, if you saw an AD for a Graphics/Sound card would you be bothered, I doubt it. Or while playing seeing a billboard with CokeCola ad on it that fitted into a map.

But if I were to be playing GuildWars and there was a Billboard with Nike/Coke that would annoy me, But then the loading screens could have ads for things that gamers want.

Lets Face it do we really look at the loading screens after the 20th time.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I dont think I'd notice the adverts tbh if they were on ingame billboards and if that means I can get games free (legally) then I'm all for it...
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

free games is good