Printer Advise

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

Hi guys and girls(Nelly that is)

I'm looking at buying an A2+ inkjet printer and just wondered if anyone has had any experiance with either the Epson 3800 or 4800. I know they are basically the same machine except the 4800 is roll fed.
Also what are the HP models like?

Andy
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hiya Bronco.

I only have experience with an epson stylus pro 7800. It is sheet or roll fed. 610mm x 30metre rolls i use. When its working flawlessly its completely flawless. When the bleedin jets have a clogging issue its a right pita. I use GMG semimatte paper thick stuff, its the dearest there is. My colour calibration is done by GMG themselves to aid pressmatching the proof sheet to the finished pressrun sheet. The calibration equipment costs many thousands but yields very good results when GMG come in and do the biz. Money well spent. This epson uses 8 inks which can cost 400 quid a set. I work with a pdf only workflow which suits my needs perfectly. Because of this I use a dedicated rip to control the epson. The rip license is very dear for the software.

I think you would need to take advice if you need a rip or not.

I read the forums over at <a href="http://printplanet.com/" target="_blank">Printplanet</a> regularly. It now has pre-press forums on board which is where I came from. Loads of knowledgeable boffs on there. I would join the forums and ask about the printers the guys there use for proofing. Good idea because they might print 50 A2's a day and run a machine to destruction so know whats good and whats not.

Helping I hope mate.

Happy Christmas Bronco.

Nellyboy
Last edited by Nellyboy on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Quote of the century :lol:

Nellyboy wrote: When its working flawlessly its completely flawless
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

Thanks Nelly, I'll have a look on that forum.
Large prints in house is the way I want to go, saw a big 4800 at the Nikon expo last month, they had it running with an external ink system. Print's were fantastic.

Merry xmas Nelly, eagle and everyone else

ps for the photogs amongst us I just ordered a Nikon D3, will let you know how it goes

Bronco
madman045
GSV Regular

Post by madman045 »

Bronco wrote: Thanks Nelly, I'll have a look on that forum.
Large prints in house is the way I want to go, saw a big 4800 at the Nikon expo last month, they had it running with an external ink system. Print's were fantastic.

Merry xmas Nelly, eagle and everyone else

ps for the photogs amongst us I just ordered a Nikon D3, will let you know how it goes

Bronco
You just spent the best part of 3K on a camera? :eek:

You doing it professionally m8?

and Merry crimbo to everyone
<a href="http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/madman045" target="_blank">Image</a>
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Shurrup Eagle, he knows what i mean.

Look <a href="http://www.memjet.com/pages.aspx?id=videoimages" target="_blank">here</a> at the wide format video. Those of us who have seen the tediously slow printspeed of wide format printing will have a Jaw-Drop moment here. This is completely amazing.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Madman045 wrote: You just spent the best part of 3K on a camera? :eek:

You doing it professionally m8?

Thats not a camera its a toy. If he was going to buy a camera he would have got a Canon! :whis:
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

Hammer wrote: Thats not a camera its a toy. If he was going to buy a camera he would have got a Canon! :whis:
CANON!!!!! don't swear at me Hammer :hb:

Madman I do it for a living now, mostly corporate work and events.
The D3 is the nuts in lowlight when your not allowed to use flash, Nikon lent me one for a couple of days.
Iso 5300 and still hardly any noise in the image, looked as good as my D2X at iso 800 :drib:
madman045
GSV Regular

Post by madman045 »

Bronco wrote: CANON!!!!! don't swear at me Hammer :hb:

Madman I do it for a living now, mostly corporate work and events.
The D3 is the nuts in lowlight when your not allowed to use flash, Nikon lent me one for a couple of days.
Iso 5300 and still hardly any noise in the image, looked as good as my D2X at iso 800 :drib:
Very nice, it's only my hobby and saving for a decent lens or two, I have the Canon 400D and would love a 1D of some variety...

You got a website m8, would love to see some of your work?
Last edited by madman045 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/madman045" target="_blank">Image</a>