Screwy - St3s Any Good?

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

The main problem i would have thought is basing the riding position on a short test ride , I took the 851 to France last year and did 750+ miles in a day , Most other riders where aghast at the thought of doing so many miles on a sports bike especially one with 3/4 inch of 18 year old foam over a fibreglass base for a seat , clipons and rearsets :o My friend on the Blackbird was even more horrified when he found me lowering the clipons a few days before we set off :D But I had no problems at all though admittedly I did have to stop for fuel every 120 miles or so , You might have to bite the bullet Clingy and buy what you really desire then tailor it to suit you rather than hope to find a bike thats fits perfectly .

Long distance tourer ?
[attachmentid=149]
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Screwy wrote: , You might have to bite the bullet Clingy and buy what you really desire then tailor it to suit you rather than hope to find a bike thats fits perfectly .
Funnily enough that is just what I was saying to the dealer who wants me to test ride every bike. I totally agree that a test ride, even 2 hours, isn't going to be the definitive answer. I'm just hoping that by doing so many I can eliminate the obvious ones like I did with the M1800R. AT some point I am going to have to take a punt! After much thought I have ruled our the expensive bikes (Harley and Victory). I just can't see they are worth that much to me. So it is almost certainly down to

GTR1400
XV1900A

...two vastly different bikes and it may be that the wife has the last say :o because of pillion comfort. Now that I have at last managed to get a test on a GTR1400 I can't for the life of me get one on a XV1900A :rolleyes:.

LMAO....and you thought that the Lord of the Rings was an epic!

PS .... sorry Sirena we'll have to agree to disagree....un-recontructed male here, and proud of it ;)
Last edited by Clingy on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Clingy wrote:

...two vastly different bikes and it may be that the wife has the last say :o because of pillion comfort.
LMAO....and you thought that the Lord of the Rings was an epic!

PS .... sorry Sirena we'll have to agree to disagree....un-recontructed male here, and proud of it ;)

Aha... NOW I believe we are making progress Clingy... Admission is part of the therapy bud .. At the end of the day, you need to be 'happy AND comfortable' with your bike...and Screwys hit the nail on the head (no pun intended)
I do hope you find something that 'fits' your needs bud..

and MAV... " Nej pal I'm still young enough to power a bike with my own legs " Mate... you're that damned fat these days, someone mentioned you'd been looking at Tractors as the next family motor !
D3s3rt_F0x
Advanced Member

Post by D3s3rt_F0x »

Cling just go the whole hog get an extra 2 wheels and buy this little beauty for comfort

nah tbh I dont have a clue about bikes thinking of taking an intrest in the future but for now my bodys staying in the 4 wheeled variety motor vehicle
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

I can understand that Fox m8, bikes are for fit, young, slim people like me :P :o ;) .

Got an hour on the GTR1400. Some A roads, through the centre of Aylesbury on a busy Saturday and down the A41 dual carriageway. Quick look down at the speed as I must be getting a tad fast...120mph.. and she's starting to move :o . You just dont feel the speed. It's a "licence loser" for sure. Apart from that and the pretty useless screen a superb bike.

Last edited by Clingy on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Clingy wrote: Some A roads, through the centre of Aylesbury on a busy Saturday and down the A41 dual carriageway

Shouldve popped in for a cuppa
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Last edited by Hippy on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Not much room for the missis....or is that the idea ;)

Finally made up my mind and decided to go for the GTR1400. Realised that a cruiser is not in my "comfort zone". Speaking to lots of bikers recently, and realise that many of them will try something different, but most will go back to what they know and love.

Just now gotta find a good price and an insurance company that's heard of it :rolleyes:
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Good choice.

Bigger & much newer version of mine
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Waheyyy :)
Looking forward to some pics and a possible story on locating the right one :)
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Ordered :D .

Phoned around today and got hit by a good salesman. I must admit I do admire good sales technique...and this guy was good. He had me thinking I have got a brilliant deal ;).

Will pick it up from Watford on 3rd November. Give me a bit of time to get security sorted.

Now it's done I am chuffed as nuts and very happy with my decision.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Top man Clingy.... Next stop ... = Halfords.. Polish !!!

Hope you're both very happy together bud... am glad you've gone for a comfy seat rather than the monkey bar thingys ;)

Have fun
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Clingy wrote: Will pick it up from Watford on 3rd November. Give me a bit of time to get security sorted.

Make sure you drop in on your way home and let me have a look :)

Only just up the road from Watford
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Are you Hemel Hempstead Eagle? Thats not far from Aylesbury is it not ?..... Just a lad who I work with is based in Aylesbury but lives in Hemel, not sure where abouts exactly though :)

edit: ohhh I forgot, nice one Clingy :) Enjoy :)
Last edited by andrew on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

andrew wrote: Are you Hemel Hempstead Eagle?
Yes m8