Things I've Learnt On A Bike As A Newbie.

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Thought I'd just summerise the past 2 months of 'relatively' trouble free commuting and some observations i've made and stuff i've learned :)

1: People aren't joking when they say drain covers are slippy in the wet!!
2: Cars will do anything to get past you for some reason. Is overtaking a bike considered a great achievement?
3: Scooters are feckin' dangerous!
4: Wet White lines in the road make you need to change your pants.
5: Cordura isn't as waterproof as it may seem
6: Clearing your visor in rain can be done by turning your head to the side, using the visor wipe in the gloves results in a scratched visor
7: Earplugs are pretty essential at anything over 60
8: It's nice to nod at other riders
9: Harley riders don't nod back
10: The chain needs to be lubed and checked REGULARLY :)
11: indicators don't cancel themselves (someone needs to invent telepathic indicators)
12: not wearing any socks results in the hair on your toes being slowly removed every time you change gear.
13: When filtering, watch out for volvo's and bmw's, they're likely to try to stop you by moving into the middle of the road.

May think of more in a bit.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

hehe i'll echo all of them, except im too much of a girl to ride in the rain :P
Richie
GSV Regular

Post by Richie »

Gotta defend car drivers a bit there Hipps.... Only the other day did I pull upto a T Junction to turn right (minor onto a major road)... I waited till it was clear and was ready to proceed when some fudrick on a bike came up my nearside and turned to the right as well !!!

Or, take another once - stopped at lights on a dual carrigeway. Lights go green so me and the other person next to me starts to pull away and gets to about 10MPH when this twit on a bike shoots between us and away...

Yep, a handful spoil it for the many but it goes both ways.... If I had hit any of them, I woulda been roasted at the stake by bikers as a "typical cage driver"....
Life - Its the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come...
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

I agree mate, fast bike riders don't have much consideration for slow riders such as myself either, only yesterday did i get cut up by a nob on an R1 who flew past me so fast he want from a vibrating blur in my mirror to a red blur in front of me in about a second, didn't even know it was a bike until he was right in my eyes.

But i find with bikes when i'm in a car, you let them do what they want, they tend not to put themselves directly in your path, but car drivers frequently do.
And they're always volvo's or BMW's :) sorry mate hehe.
Just ignore them and get on with it.