Bike Opinions

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Done some quotes and its cheaper to insure an SV than it is my current RS lol and thats adding more miles and commuting :o

With re: to that monster, whats it like riding a bike with no screen ? I know tucking down behind my current one is a lot nicer than taking 100mph wind in your chest, plus the bike goes a dam sight faster tucked in !
Also looking at prices on trader I might struggle to find one as easy as say an SV. Whats reliability likely to be ? Can they do big miles without fussy maintenance/rebuilds etc.
Any input appreciated, thanks andrew :)
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

It's harder on a naked bike, but you get used to it. Depends a lot on the seat too.

The SV is always going to be cheaper in almost every way, but it's not the same sort of bike. It's tame in comparison.

You should be able to find a 620 monster without too much trouble, it's the baby of the monster family, and the older ones are just as good and still quite tame. Insurance wont cripple you. Plus they look gorgeous!

Reliability is pot luck. It's a Duke!
Check it's history properly. electrics most importantly.

I guess you've got to think what you want from this bike, it's your first big bike, you will want to change it at some point.
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-DUCATI-RED_W ... otohosting" target="_blank">Here</a> you go , £2,000 Buy it now :bk:

[attachmentid=121]

I could even pop down and have a look at it for you , It's only 5 mile away .
Last edited by Screwy on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Andrew... Not sure what decisions you've made yet....seems you may be leaning towards the SV ( a very nice bike and easy to manage too)

My ancient experience would say keep well away from the diversion... Hippy probably has more bhp than the Diversion.. they're awful bikes. An female mate has a Fazer, she's 5'6" so.... and they are damned good bikes (but if you're uncomfy with the ride height then it's best to leave it... like you say)

The 'Monster' is a nice bike.. but watch the service bills (and spares !! you know how reliable Italian mechanics are !! )

hope that helps
Hawk
Advanced Member

Post by Hawk »

[attachmentid=123]

if i may say somthing

i have 2 bikes a kawasaki ZZR 600 and a suzuki gsxr 750 srad

the zzr 600 is a great allrounder i have had this for about 5 years and i am now passing this on to my partner as this is a great starter bike

and the gsxr is the serious machine not as good as a duck but as the post above says repairs and spares on a duck are very exspensive

have fun ride safe

hawk
Last edited by Hawk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

SRAD , nice bike :th: I remember when the first GSXR750 was launched , The start of the sports bike craze :bk: before that there was only the Honda Phil Read rep and various specials like the Harris and the Dunstall sports bike if anyone remembers them ?

I'm not the best person to comment on Ducati reliability as I love the things especially the older models (pre 1995) but I will say mines been fine apart from starter motor bushes wearing out and a couple of corroded connections plus an annoying habit of blowing a coolant pipe off if I don't remember to manually turn the radiator fan on in stationary or slow moving traffic :angry:

The secret is to stay away from the garage queens , Those bike that only get used on a sunny Sunday etc they can be a nightmare and have to be sorted on a weekly basis until there right , Great if like me your first Duke was a bevel drive 900 that usually required a complete engine rebuild over winter and weekly sessions with the spanners and a multimeter :D But if you want to just jump on and ride then chuck it in the garage it's pot luck as Hippy says .

There's Plenty of choice in the 600 sports bike category , Get round the local bike shops and sit on a few then check the insurance costs :rolleyes:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Thanks for the posts guys :) just got back from Amsterdam..... you'd have to be crazy to ride round that place ! Seen a couple of nice bikes but mostly they were old sheds, same can be said for the push bikes !

Nothings set in stone yet with regards to my plans, and as usual i'll probably ignore sound advice and do something silly :P
Got to get theory done and find some spare time to get test done. One things for sure though I can't wait :D
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

The ZZR is a cracking bike... and low(ish) ride height too.. Had one before this one (ZX6r) They are damned heavy though and weigh twice as much as current 'sports' bikes.
If you go with the ZZR, shout up and I'll have a look to see if I've still got the books and rack off the back. Was in garage at old house ( may have binned them.. but will look)
SRAD's are great bikes, but not for the 'limp' wristed.. by that I mean that they can be a real pita on your wrists if you do plenty of miles in one go. They're an out and out sports though. ZZR's are more like your 'sofa' to sit on :) and you can ride all day on them (did 700 miles in one day years ago.
I'd still say the SV would be your best option though Andrew... even if it's only for a few months. It's a huge jump from the RS to an SRAD or similar and the SV would help bridge the 'learning curve' ;)
GL with the exams