Mantle Is Go

Also BF2, BFBC2

Moderator: Hammer

Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Well the Mantle patch is out for BF4. Ways in at 1.23g and you have to update your game even if you are running Nvidia cards.
You also need the AMD BETA 13.95 drivers to use it. Currently it will only work with the new generation of cards, the R series.
I think AMD BETA 14.1 drivers are out tomorrow which will work with all CGN cards. So I'll give it a go with my 7990 tomorrow fingers crossed.

I've just installed the 13.11 v9.5 drivers for no reason :angry: :D
Last edited by Hammer on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I should probably remote update mine as well then, goin g to see if I can get online tonight...
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

thanks pal, better get updating then hadn't i
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

The Cats 14.1 Beta drivers are now up: <a href="http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... -beta.aspx" target="_blank">Windows 14.1</a>

Downloaded & installed.

Start BF4 ,Video options change DirectX to Mantle.

Will play today and see how they go.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Beta drivers and BF4, oh like that's any sort of game I want to test...

Make sure you bench under the current drivers before you update, then bench with and without mantle...
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Well there is no real benchmark for BF4.

My experience with Mantle is very poor as there are issues with the beta drivers and my card.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Known Issues

Mantle performance for the AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeonâ„¢ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4â„¢ in future AMD Catalystâ„¢ releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4â„¢ and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.

Multi-GPU support under DirectX® and Mantle will be added to StarSwarm in a future application patch
Intermittent stuttering or stability issues may occur when utilizing Mantle with AMD CrossFireâ„¢ technology in BattleField 4â„¢ - AMD recommends using the DirectX code path when playing Battlefield 4 with multiple GPUs. A future AMD Catalyst release will resolve these issues

Notebooks based on AMD Enduro or PowerXpressâ„¢ technologies are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4â„¢

AMD Eyefinity configurations utilizing portrait display orientations are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4â„¢

AMD Eyefinity technology is not currently supported in the Star Swarm​ application

AMD testing for the AMD Catalystâ„¢ 14.1 Beta Mantle driver has been concentrated on the following products: AMD Radeonâ„¢ R9 290X, R9 290, R9 280, R9 270, R7 260X, R7 260, HD 7000 Series, HD 8000 Series, A10-7850K and A10-7700K. Future AMD Catalystâ„¢ releases will include full test coverage for all AMD products supported by Mantle.

Graphics hardware in the AMD A10-7850K and A10-7700K may override the presence of a discrete GPU under the Mantle code path in Battlefield 4â„¢

Frame Pacing for Dual Graphics and non-XDMA configurations above 2560x1600 do not currently work with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4. An upcoming release will enable support

DX9 Dual graphics is not supported in AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta. An upcoming release will enable support<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've gone back to 13.12 drivers and directx for now. I will re visit Mantle when an updated driver is released.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Mantle is alpha apparently, beta wont be until mid year and final at end of year, so I read over the weekend anyways, couple that with BF4 not being 100% stable, Beta drivers from AMD, I dont get a lot of time to game as it is so losing some of that time pissing about with drivers and the likes is a non-starter for me..

As an idea though its a good one, DX can load up the CPU and these days with decent GPU's any load taken from the CPU to the GPU should give improvements, be interesting if NVidia pick it up as well or if they end up with their own version, DX is well overdue an update though so at least someone is doing something about it...
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

Ran badly for me too, every few seconds i was getting a slight pause.
Almost like a lag spike, but just as bad and annoying. Frame rates were slightly higher but even so back to DX for me too.