Deer Hunter 2005 Mini Guide

PC & Console gaming
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

Ok, I am no expert at this game but I will post what works for me...

Basics
- You can only bag 2 bucks and 1 other. (Fawn or Doe)
- Don't shoot Deer in the water.
- Using less powerful weapons (such as bows) will increase your rating quicker.
- As your rating increases you get more points to spend and other nifty rewards.

Starting Points

I've had quite a few different profiles since I first got this game, and I find what works best for me is 100% Presence, 100% Stealth and 100% weapons, then any extra points you get spend in either Strength if you like to walk around, or calling if you like to sit about and use lures etc. I personally think tracking is a waste of time as if you hit the deer in the lungs it will most likely drop in one shot, if it doesn't just use your optics to keep an eye on where it goes and follow it until it keels over.

Graphics Settings

I find it best if under the Video Options you set View Distance to 100%, Tree Density to 0% and Ground Objects to Low, this will enable you to see the deer easier. Set the other options depending on what your PC is capable of.

Gear

All I take with me, is my weapon, GPS, Binoculas and my trusty Antlers. - This is all I ever take, you can keep all your other lures, stands and vehicles. They may work but I seem to do fine without them, I guess it depends how you want to play.

Hunting

There are many ways to hunt, people have all kinds of techniques that work for them, what works for me is to walk around (not run) and every now and then, stop, crouch and have a good look around with binoculas, with a bit of luck (well a lot of luck if your playing online as the server is set to expert, which means less deer, but more chance of world record deer) you will see a deer, now what I do is get out of the deers wind direction, and go prone, get as close as you can depending on the weapon your using (200m is perfectly fine for a scoped rifle) - if the deer is walking around, use your antlers to stop it in its tracks, it should stop walking and look up, now is the time to shoot, aim for the lungs which is sort of just behind the front shoulders and away you go.

Thats all for now but I will add more if I think of anything, Screwy used to play this with me a while back so he may have more of his own tips to add.

Have fun!
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Personally I just walk around making sure that the wind isn't blowing in the direction I'm walking if possible then keep your eyes open , One thing to remember is that where theres one buck theres a good chance of another one so have a good look round before you start shooting . I use the scoped single shot rifle and carry a crossbow , you have to get in close with the crossbow (70m) but if you manage to bring the first deer down clean theres every chance the other wont bolt ;)
Geist
Advanced Member

Post by Geist »

Is strength needed for the bows then? Was playing around alittle on the training range and while the weapons skill really helps I couldnt tell with strength.

Iv settled on a trusty 30-06 bolt action and a longbow... Now I just need to get within 40m crouched. ;)

So when are people playing again?
- Geist - Cantankerous -
- GSV - Hexus - I'm Going In - MarlinsUK - TNGC -
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

I was on again last night and might give it another bash tonight
Geist
Advanced Member

Post by Geist »

Just had a bash on the server and it got quite busy, but the second someone colected a buck they quit. :( Someone did a map vote aswell that failed just as i was lining up a shot and the map changed...
- Geist - Cantankerous -
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

If the mapvote failed it shouldnt change map unless the timelimit is up (currently set at 30mins)

Some people will leave when they get a nice buck, some people only play to get the world record breakers.

I think most GSV'ers play in the evening, I should be on tonight after 6/7ish

Also put your hands up when you get bored of the official game maps and i will add some nice custom ones :)
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

Just to let you all know i've added some custom maps which you can download here: ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/downloads/ppage/...editor_maps.zip

You will need to extract all the .spk files and put them in\Deer Hunter 2005\Game\CustomLevels\
Geist
Advanced Member

Post by Geist »

remember TS...
- Geist - Cantankerous -
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

server is great having loads of fun.

Remember dont shoot birds of prey as you will be come illegal too

Get good at the rut calls and then sit and wait as this is a boring but effective place if you are near a big buck
Dakaras
GSV Regular

Post by Dakaras »

:(

And dont exceed bag limit :( I just thought you could swap a Doe for a 3rd Buck :( You cant
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Dakaras wrote: :(

And dont exceed bag limit
Sometimes you're lucky if you see enough to fill your bag :rolleyes:
doofer

Post by doofer »

Oh man, this brings back some memories...how long ago? :eek:
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

doofer wrote: Oh man, this brings back some memories...how long ago? :eek:
Doofer!! Me and Screwy were talking about you the other day, you should jump on mate :)
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

More importantly on multiplayer can you TK :D