Electric Cars

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Anybody looked into Electric Cars? I've heard mixed views.I've been told that, even though they should have a range of about 80 miles, this could be dramatically reduced if the car heater was used.Also, their environmental credentials are good, but nothing spectacular.

From what I've read, I'm left with the feeling it's still very early days for them.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Very early days, don't rate them at all, while they might be good for the environment when they are built look at how much is put into building them, metals for the batteries from one side of the planet, on a slow boat to where the batteries are made, then shipped elsewhere and so on...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Early days? tosh

I remeber back in my childhood putting a token into an electric car and many hours of enjoyment....
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

Stephen Hawking got one!

Seriously though, no good for me range is far too short. I need 120 mile range at
90mph and tats not likely to happen for a long long time.

I did see a prototype of a BMW a couple of years ago, that was impressive but not pure
electric. it had a 1500cc diesel engine which was mostly used as a generator but had
a fancy ass drivtrain that could use the engine for some pretty impressive combined
power output for short bursts.

and as trig points out, they are not as green as they seem, far from it. they are just
expensive conscience easers for tree huggers.

on the fly hydrogen generators to power conventional combustion engines would be
the best, if water could be split into oxygen and hydrogen in quantities fast enough
to power a car without using more power to extract the fuel than fuel would actually produce then that would be a winner for sure. as it is though the best available at the moment can only supplement carbon fuels to a dubious and doubtful improvement in mpg. These systems also have a side effect of releasing engine and exhaust crud that were previously built up.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

The only way I can see them starting to make a big dent in the market is if the price and range get more realistic.... company car drivers would love it due to the tax benefits however a few quid in the pocket a month more doesnt account for sitting several hours in a car park whilst you recharge lol. Hybrids bridge this gap at the mo, however the loss of boot space to half a ton of lithium is a draw back.
The crowd I work for were trialling a couple of little mitsubishi imevs or something, from what I read on the updates they're a nice to have second car not a practical daily car for joe bloggs. Our lass is a perfect candidate for an electric car, 12 miles a day in solid traffic back and to work, and uses mine at weekend so they can work... sort of.