Best Diesel Engine

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Having a debate with family about diesel engines. Who makes the best diesel engines for typical road use cars. I'm arguing it's Peugeot, so please feel free to agree with me. :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

I drive a peugeot 307 HDI Estate, company car

Its a "56" plate

And currently I have 182,000 miles on the clock.

Its never let me down

However during "routine" servicing which is every 10,000 miles the garage managed to f*ck it up.

I now suffer from reduced power when attempting to overtake.

Not really a fault of the engine but a sloppy garage.

hopefully will be replaced soon anyway.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Don't know about cars. But stay clear of Yanmar Marine diesels...
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

driven french stuff as discourtesy cars, didn't like any of them that much, they seemed noisy
and under powered except the laguna they lent me, but that had poor fuel economy for a 6 speed car.

P plate Peugeot 305 drank diesel, slower than a sinclair c5 (cost £30 a week more in fuel than my 2.0 tddi mondeo)

J reg Peugeot 106, very good on fuel, just a nasty little car, willing engine though

51 plate Laguna estate 2.0, not bad, quiet not that powerful

51 plate mk3 mondeo 2.0 tddi, nice engine, quick as well if booted hard good on fuel 48mpg doing my 400 miles
car was just a huge disappointment as its electrical/ engine management system has a fault that not even
2 ford main dealers could find and fix, very nice to drive when it worked properly.

currently on my second ford fitted with the 1.8 duratec engine.

I took a mk3 fiesta from 72k to 125k, blew its oil cooler at 90k £400 to replace that and everything else that got filled with oil, radiator, heater, heater control solenoid. (common fault with this engine)

currently have a focus mk1, same engine as the fiesta with an inter-cooler and higher gearing got 148k on the clock now
and i have done 18k of them myself. good on fuel not bad on the motorway (400miles a week on them)
no problems so far. Car is not in great condition and has been abused in the past by previous owners but it runs fine and wouldn't hesitate to have another one.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I've never driven a diesel I've liked, problem is with them being dirty engines you have to have particular filters and all that sort of shit these days to get them thru emmissions tests, this usually causes more problems than it solves when they go wrong..

Petrol all the way imho..
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

Trig wrote: I've never driven a diesel I've liked, problem is with them being dirty engines you have to have particular filters and all that sort of shit these days to get them thru emmissions tests, this usually causes more problems than it solves when they go wrong..

Your right in what you say, modern diesels have got very complicated and are relying more and more
on electronic management, the repair bills can be very expensive. The mechanic that does our
servicing and repairs knows what i do with my car and the mileage i do, he has said when my cars
days are over i should either get another diesel of the same ilk i have or a petrol and should not buy
anything with electronic injectors.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Claw wrote: Having a debate with family about diesel engines. Who makes the best diesel engines for typical road use cars. I'm arguing it's Peugeot, so please feel free to agree with me. :D
From a technology point of view I think it's the new BMW Triple Turbo 3L Diesel.
Trig wrote: I've never driven a diesel I've liked, problem is with them being dirty engines you have to have particular filters and all that sort of shit these days to get them thru emmissions tests, this usually causes more problems than it solves when they go wrong..

I've had my Mondeo 2L TDCI diesel 6 years this year. The car is 8 years old. It's never failed an MOT due to the engine. It needed a wheel bearing this year, first time it's needed anything for an MOT. I know a Ford mechanic who gives it a full service including all filters for £150.
I can travel with a fully loaded car and still average 50mpg on the Motorway. It has a 12 gallon tank and I did a run to Cambridge and back in a day, taking my son and his gear back to university. I did 612 miles on 1 tank and the computer said it had 16miles left in the tank.
The engine has plenty of torque for overtaking or for towing. I can travel with a fully loaded car and the trailer on the back with all the camping gear in and still average 43mpg.

Newer diesel engines are getting better with every generation and the price of fuel is rising. Why would you want to buy a petrol car unless it was just a city runaround?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAFoso0 ... re=related" target="_blank">The only reason for a petrol car</a>

:hb: :mm2:
Last edited by Hammer on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

Newer diesel engines are getting better with every generation and the price of fuel is rising. Why would you want to buy a petrol car unless it was just a city runaround?

Don't get me wrong, I like diesels, I like them a lot but their is more to overall running costs apart from mpg, what I don't like are huge repair bills that are caused by stupid faults. Mk4 mondeo, if it detects even the slightest amount of petrol in the fuel all four injectors shut down, not just until the fuel is clean, forever permanently! now go price up replacement injectors and then add on time at ford for the new ones to programmed.
I have never mis-fueled anything, but if you get some contaminated fuel that's some bill to get your car going again.

Too much electronic bs has been bolted on perfectly good, reliable and economic engines just to get their emission's down resulting in loss of reliability and very expensive repair bills along with plenty of potential for difficult/ impossible to solve faults.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

The vag 1.9tdi has many many forms in use all over, its a good unit and volume of sales i'd say counts for a lot... I have no evidence to back this up!, what I do find disappointing is most people under the age of 30 aspire to a mk5 golf diesel.....
Nothing compares to the 3L bmw units though, they quite simply go like hell, they're awesome imho, both in a 3 and 5 series trim i've always been impressed by them.

Trigs correct about DPF, theres pleanty of pricey horror stories out there.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

I have been driving the VAG diesels for over 15 years now. Currently just changed to a 140bhp 2 litre Bluemotion. Would have gone for the 170bhp but starting to worry about fuel consumption now...if I want fun I get the bike out. Currently getting 60 mpg, but only because I am driving slower than I am used. 60-65 mph on dual carriageways and changing up very early. Car (New Passat Sport Saloon) is whisper quiet. Put the foot down and it still pulls as good an the non Bluemotion previous vehicle even though this was lighter. And from a Compant Car Tax POV the low emissions mean I am paying a lot less.

Can't imagine driving a petrol car now.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Clingy wrote: Can't imagine driving a petrol car now.
100% with you there. The only cars we've been happy with are diesels. I know that's just sentimental, but you've gotta like what you drive. :)

We've kept an old R reg' Fiesta 1.8 diesel for stock when needed. We feed that on just veg oil and it loves it. At the mo, for the 50 mile round trip it does we are paying just 92p a litre. If ever we had to start getting rid of cars, this would be the last to go. :wub:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...