Flashing Amber

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

This is a good idea, instead of a full-on traffic light system during off-peak times, in quiet areas the traffic light will flash amber as a note to the driver to be cautious.

<a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12860433" target="_blank">BBC Article.</a>
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Terry
Advanced Member

Post by Terry »

We have many lights here in the states that turn to caution lights only at off peak hours, usually after 11 pm. I like it :)
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I think if its not red people will just ignore it..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Terry says it works well in his locale, and according to the BBC report, the principle is the same as Zebra Crossings. So, the concept won't really be anything new, except that it is applied to traffic instead of people. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

We had roundabouts here that let people drive across if it was empty. The council in their wisdom replaced them with expensive traffic lights that made you stop for 3 minutes at an empty junction. I think they did this just to annoy you and to make you burn more fuel so they could collect more tax from you in fuel duty.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Hammer wrote: We had roundabouts here that let people drive across if it was empty. The council in their wisdom replaced them with expensive traffic lights that made you stop for 3 minutes at an empty junction. I think they did this just to annoy you and to make you burn more fuel so they could collect more tax from you in fuel duty.
Man... there are always bushes, trees and stuff on our roundabouts... :whis:

Traffic lights on roundabouts... what's going on there then? :unsure:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Hammer wrote: We had roundabouts here that let people drive across if it was empty. The council in their wisdom replaced them with expensive traffic lights that made you stop for 3 minutes at an empty junction. I think they did this just to annoy you and to make you burn more fuel so they could collect more tax from you in fuel duty.

These seem to be popping up all over the place, on roundabouts where traffic (even at rush hour) used to flow nicely. So bizarre.
If they spent their (sorry our budget ;) ) on pot holes we'd have snooker tables for roads !