Opinions Please

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Need a Top Box. Do I go for the perfectly colour matches genuine Kawasaki one, which everyone appears to think is "wobbly" or the more expensive Givi aftermarket one which is stable but badly colour matched?
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Get the good one, get it resprayed if the colour bothers u that much
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Yep good idea Trig. Still, I'm now thinking it's all too expensive for the odd 2 up trip. Now thinking of a soft luggage tail pack. The one advantage of hard luggage is that it doubles as a back rest for the pillion.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

When your 2 up are you going to be riding long enough for the pillion to need a back rest, if not then the softy would make more sence, especially if its loads cheaper than the Givi job.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Trig has pretty much answered this as I would Clingy. Depending on the frequency of being 2-up and the length of journeys.. I'd always sway towards the Givi as it's a proven bit of kit.

Soft luggage is ok BUT definitely no substitute for the proper thing.

I've nearly always ridden solo so have taken the ski-bag strapped to the back option... a mate did have soft luggage until we were in the ALps and he set his underpants/shoes & socks alight ...his soft luggage had settled down onto his ZZR13 tailpipe ;) mega fire ,,,,, but we all agreed on what a 'star' he was for putting our warmth before his personal belongings ;)
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Trig wrote: When your 2 up are you going to be riding long enough for the pillion to need a back rest, if not then the softy would make more sence, especially if its loads cheaper than the Givi job.
It's something like a 6 hour trip in total...although we'll try and split it up.

Turt....the panniers are hard luggage, which tend to stay on the bike, but this is just for some extra stowage for two up. Tail bags are usually strapped to the pillion seat, but we'll want to attach it to the rear rack. About £300 for the Givi including the fittings....about £60-£70 for the Tail bag....mmmmm....still unsure.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Had a good look around at the weekend and I was not at all impressed with the Givi finish and looks. So this tipped the balance....checked out the available soft luggage and the nice people in Hein Gericke allowed me to try them out on the bike and ended up with HG's Pro Sport Tail Bag. 43 litres, looks quite good, bit awkard to fit, acts as a rucksack and should provide some backrest support for pillion. Bonus was that the bag was stuffed for display with some useful pannier liners!. Must admit this has been one of my better Motorcycle purchases....as opposed to me getting the wrong Helmet and wrong Jacket!
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Clingy wrote:Must admit this has been one of my better Motorcycle purchases....as opposed to me getting the wrong Helmet and wrong Jacket!

What was wrong with your jacket and helmet?

Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Oh my, work colleagues have all just given me funny looks as I pissed myself at that old pic :D
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Any excuse to use that one tbh, as long as nobody mentions falling asleep on the bog your safe ;)
Richie
GSV Regular

Post by Richie »

Falling asleep on the bog you say ?? :whis: :P
Life - Its the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come...
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Richie wrote: Falling asleep on the bog you say ?? :whis: :P

What's this then ??? Have I missed something AGAIN ??? ;) :eek: :whis:
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

:P I'll probably piss myself laughing at that one too ;)