SSD Drives

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

SSD Drives

Post by Claw »

How many SSD drives have you been through?

I've been checking them out by reading up stuff on them. In the past I've never really trusted them for long-term use and so has little use for them. But reading the article below was inspiring and that's why I'm asking about your experience with them and their reliability, please.

[flash=]http://www.cnet.com/how-to/storage-talk ... ate-drive/[/flash]
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Geist
Advanced Member

Re: SSD Drives

Post by Geist »

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the- ... e-all-dead

I'll jinx it then :D Only running them now in the main system (have two) the first one (256GB SSung 840 PRO) bought back in 2013 and has been my OS drive since then and still going. I've done nothing different with it vs hdd's.

If you're worried about losing the data then you need to have a proper backup system in place. Which I should really get around to setting up myself one day...
- Geist - Cantankerous -
- GSV - Hexus - I'm Going In - MarlinsUK - TNGC -
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

That was an inspiring review and experiment... and they all soldiered through hundreds of terabytes of torture. That really, really surprised me.

So, what SSD's have you got? I was thinking of getting some 256GB Samsung drives I've seen online.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I've had 2 die, OCZ ones from back in the day when 30gb and 120gb was >£200, since then I have properly gone SSD mad, I have 2 in my main rig, 2 in my server, have put multiple drives in laptops and other machines and none of them have failed, all have been Samsung 840 Evo/Pro or 850 Evo/Pro...
Geist
Advanced Member

Post by Geist »

The same as Trig, old ones at work have died and if I remember correctly at least a load of them were small (128?) OCZ ones. They were quite poor compared to the current crop.

Running a Samsung 840 pro 256GB and a Crucial MX200 500GB. The 256GB has Win7, around 140GB of games, no MyDocs/Pics etc and has around 23GB free currently. As a note I also didn't notice any difference in windows from running them sata2 (x58)system vs sata3(x99) although the benchmarks show a marked improvement. I've not kept up with them but for a while the real thing was what type of memory they used. Some of the Samsung's (that I knew of) were expected to have shorter life spans due to the way the chips worked. There was also a difference between sizes, so sub 256GB was often slower than above 256GB. Worth checking a couple reviews and then finding the cheapest one from a make your happy with I believe.
- Geist - Cantankerous -
- GSV - Hexus - I'm Going In - MarlinsUK - TNGC -