Bob Upgrade

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Bob Upgrade

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I've Bobgraded.

Swapped the E8500 chip for a Quad core Q9650.
About as much of an upgrade as I can go. Could get 8GB RAM instead of 6, but the chip is still the bottleneck to the GPU though..

Not tried OCing it yet though.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Re: Bob Upgrade

Post by Trig »

SSD?
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I like a big 1TB C:\

Don't have to think about where to load prgrams into...
I expect I'll be converted when the price comes down.
Coastguard has given me a little HP notebook with SSD for work, and I'm very impressed with that..
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Depends how many programs chap, I've got 3x 256Gb SSD's in mine and I dont have any issues..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Good move Bob.

The faster your CPU and memory, the faster they'll need feeding if you're going to get the best out of them.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

I kept my last pc with a q6600, over-clocked the tits off it years ago and its been running that way since the day I put it together, Q's are fairly
easy to clock, i managed to 967mhz extra out of mine. Bloody thing just wouldn't go the extra 33mhz and stay stable. Recently put a 64gb ssd in it and that made a huge difference to its performance.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

See, even Vomit says I am right :D

SSD's in older machines offer the best bang for buck IMHO, I handed down my GTX670thing GPU down to the boy 2 years ago I think it was, machine was ok even with the Q thats in there but was a bit slow, SSD gave it a whole new lease of life..

Also, and I've done this many times, if you cant be arsed to reinstall the Samsing SSD's come with a data migration program that you can just stick the SSD in your machine and clone your existing OS to it, take the old drive out and bang, SSD goodness...

I might have a 256Gb 840 EVO going spare in a few weeks Bob, got the 850 Pro sat on my desk at home but not had the time to do anything with it lately. Plan was to take out the Evo I have in my setup and then shimmy my drives around.

Currently running
840Pro OS
840Evo Data
M5 mSATA (got a mSATA header on my board) Temp/Swap

Moving to
850 Pro OS
840 Pro Data
m5 Temp/Swap

so the 840Evo will be spare, I would put it in my server but thats already running an 840Pro OS drive..
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

OK, ok,

SSD's are not just jumped up memory sticks as I supposed them to be.......

PAypal?
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

they are bloody fast bob, get a decent one and you will get close to 500mbs read and write, a mechanical 7200rpm you will doing well to get close too
100mbs on a single drive. Its an upgrade with instant results and one your unlikely to regret. Clone your existing hard drive, its easy enough to do.

I like acronis true image myself, even hough I had to make a custom bart-pe disc to use it in emergencies.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I'd just use the Samsung Data Migration tool chap, saves pissing about..
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Even on my old sata2 motherboard the crucial m4 ssd made the bootup and general use miles faster. Got new sata3 board on the way so should be even quicker and the new sammy evo 850 is much faster than the older m4.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

tbh even with Sata3 and an 850 the speed wont seem as fast in comparison going from a spinner to an SSD, there comes a point where faster isnt noticable.