New Phone

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Hi guys

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is coming to the end of its contract.

I want your opinions on my next choice of phone.

Shortlist is as follows

Samsung Galaxy S4
HTC One
Sony Xperia Z
Nokia Lumia 920

Available soon

Nokia Lumia 925

What would you go for and what network would you choose.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Not going to give us a clue as to what you use the phone for?

I'm using a N920 and its an excellent phone, its a bit lacking in the app front but it still a decent bit of kit, the camera is spot on...
Mega
Advanced Member

Post by Mega »

Trig wrote: Not going to give us a clue as to what you use the phone for?

I'm using a N920 and its an excellent phone, its a bit lacking in the app front but it still a decent bit of kit, the camera is spot on...

Clue is in the Topic (its a PHONE) you make calls with it. :fish:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

The missus has a nokia lumia and loves it except for the apps front, its poor if you're used to google play store, and is what would put me off one.
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

I had a Lumia 800 for a bit and admittedly, I got rid of it because of the apps. To be honest, I actually miss the voice features (reading out messages, voice dictating responses etc), excellent for hands free stuff.
smoop
Advanced Member

Post by smoop »

Compo wrote: I had a Lumia 800 for a bit and admittedly, I got rid of it because of the apps. To be honest, I actually miss the voice features (reading out messages, voice dictating responses etc), excellent for hands free stuff.
Almost all high end phones have that and for many years. the s4 is a nice upgrade to the s4, that's what i'm getting in sept when mine is renewable. My brother had a windows phone a little bit ago, shocking bit of kit that he sent back and cancelled contract. S4 on 3, cheap, unlimited data, free calls to others on 3 etc

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

EE, Orange are dragging custom from other services due to their being first in line to get 4G, which is just on the horizon.

There are a couple of ways of looking at this. If you want fast data and want soon'ish then get a 4G capable phone and sign up with EE.

Alternatively you can do a bit of hard bargaining with other services and get a good deal on a phone and contract. Virgin Media have some great offers in terms of Phone and contract at the moment. Check'em out. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

<a href="http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/" target="_blank">http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/</a> may be useful ?
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

Although I am aware that other smartphones have had the voice features for years, the lumia did manage this better than all other phones that I have used. I have the galaxy s3 and svoice is terrible. Google now is better but an online connection is needed for that, as is siri on the iPhone. Not only did the lumia understand what it was dictated, the integration is done at a system level rather than just a gimmicky "app" seen on the majority of handsets.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Cheers guys

I'm still torn between the Lumia 925 (due out mid june) and the S4

I've had the S2 for 2 years so I'm sort of leaning towards the Lumia just because its different from android.

I initially went with the S2 because I wanted android over iphone but now I think I fancy a change to windows 8 and see how that goes.

Never will I possess an Iphone
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I came from Android (DHD) to a WP8 phone, I find the device itself lush, its just so smooth.
The only thing I do miss is some of the apps.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hey Eagley, what you doing with the S2? Good nick?
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Nellyboy wrote: Hey Eagley, what you doing with the S2? Good nick?

missus wants it m8
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Eagle wrote: missus wants it m8

Yes ok but what about the phone?? :fish: