Dead PC

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

I've been having problems with my PC on and off ever since the power supply blew.

It has been running on an old cheap 250W PSU for a few weeks and then decided not to boot. I purchased a new 400W PSU and got it working yesterday however the chip wouldnt run at full speed. I changed it from 166 x 12.5 to 133 x 12.5 and it was happy all day yesterday.

This morning when I switched it on theres nothing, the fans all start up and theres power to the Hard drives but nout on screen and no beeps at all.

Is this just processor or is it likely to be motherboard as well?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

What's the motherboard Jase? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

It's an Abit NF7S v2 with an Athlon XP2800 CPU - its been running more or less non stop for the past 5 years, only switched off when it was moved from upstairs to downstairs and the occasional powercut!
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

have you tried the old "remove and reseat everything" trick?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Could be a few things for a 5 year old board...

One of the first things I check for on an Abit board is leaky capacitors like this:

Or even just the swelling on the top is a sure sign of the board on its way out. I lost two Abit boards to this.

If that is okay, check and reseat cables, etc, and reset CMOS, anything?

Next is to try to cause a POST beep... following ESD precautions remove all memory and power it up, if nothing then you'll need to look further, probably swapping out your CPU.

If you do get a POST beep on removing your memory, do you have any spare in another machine you could try in this one?

Gotta go out now... not you... me, my lift is here... :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Well I've stripped down the PC and manged to get it to boot but with the CPU throttled back to 133x12.5 and although it did take 3/4 reboots it seems stable.

I had the "CPU unworkable or has changed" bios messsage on first boot.

I'm presuming the chip is on it's way out?
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

I'm thinking it best if most of it goes out, via the window... :P
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

lol you not far wrong. This will be my last gaming rig unless I can salvage the vid card and memory etc.

Need to find a cpu and motherboard that will take PC3200 and have AGP slot for my 9800! Otherwise it'll be a cheap dell jobbie :(
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I've got old spare bits chap what u want...
Will make a list when I get back from Paignton
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Trig wrote: I've got old spare bits chap what u want...
Will make a list when I get back from Paignton

Any socket A CPU would be good around the xp2800 mark !!! would be good to see if thats what the problem is! If theres a mobo with it even better ;)
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

CPU's generally work or don't, not much inbetween.

I'd go with the motherboard of yours being fragged.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Got Jake this board after his went boobies up

<a href="http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... 4294959852" target="_blank">Asrock</a>

Now his 9800Pro has died. It's all so depressing trying to buy old techonolgy (i.e. 6 months or more old).
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Oooo ideal

Thanks Clingy ;)
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

Or if yer cpu is fudged aswell get this one

<a href="http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... 9021,50568" target="_blank">Agp and PCi-e</a>

It will run yer AGP based card OR a PCI-E so you have the option to upgrade gfx once yer gfx card dies.

Of course you will need a CPU aswell but s939 a64's are dirt cheap these days compaired to a few months back. It will also use yer pc3200
Last edited by mcmav on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

I'm running the board McMav listed. I have a A64x2 4400 in it with my old 6800 GT (AGP) card. This board As-rocks.