Who's Next?

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

All these stories of creepy Celeb's with their history of the abuse of children has left me absolutely gobsmacked. To date the following have been arrested, in no particular order:

Jimmy Saville
Fred Talbot
Rolf Harris (!)
Freddie Starr
Max Clifford
Stuart Hall
Dave Lee Travis
Jim Davidson

These are the ones I can recollect, but who's next?

Jimmy Saville has always seemed weird, but the others seem absolutely normal, no apparent quirks that would make you suspicious of them at all.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

I don't know who's next but this years Strangeways Christmas panto should be a cracker!
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

They've all been questioned, but who's actually been charged?
Richie
GSV Regular

Post by Richie »

Dangerous Bob wrote: They've all been questioned, but who's actually been charged?

This.

So easy to fling accusations around and ruin lives. Anyone n the list above who is not guilty has their lives ruined now anyway.
Life - Its the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come...
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

Anonymity should be everyone's right, for ANY crime until proven guilty. When people
get accused and/or charged with something, it doesn't make them guilty of any offence
until they either plead guilty or found guilty. Supposed to be innocent until proven
otherwise.

When these people were accused, their was a lot of air time and publicity devoted to
them and the allegations, if and when they are found innocent or released without
further action being taken against them, how many people here will remember them
as wrongly accused innocent people? Maybe you will think they got off because they
were famous? perhaps they will be guilty by conviction of your own mind?
one thing is certain though they will not enjoy the publicity of the
media announcing their innocence with the same gusto and vigour as their
arrests were announced and their careers will still be in ruins.

Trial by jury, not by the press !
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

In many cases there is a good degree of anonymity. But, under these circumstances, releasing details of who the abuser is may embolden those who were too humiliated, or even afraid, to came forward with their experience. It's often quite startling the things the police learn with publicity on a case.

The media are a necessary evil. At the moment it is hard to live with them and their antics, but conversely what would we know without them? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
smoop
Advanced Member

Post by smoop »

the truth without a garnishing of agenda from their board of directors?

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

smoop wrote: the truth without a garnishing of agenda from their board of directors?
In the earlier days of the 'net you could read news from AP as and when the story was unfolding, so it was very raw news, which I miss a lot. As each report on the same event was released you would see changes in either or both major and minor details.

Like you said, editors and directors have had an unscrupulous hand in influencing stories. What helps me at the moment is reading other reports on a matter that I'm interested in. In fact, what I've found is that news sources in other countries provide more detail or is more candid.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

I was certain one on that list would come out, because 20 years ago I heard stories of him and his behaviour. Several months ago I suggested that he would be exposed (excuse the pun) shortly but was greeted with disbelief. Surely not xxxx everyone said, and that typifies the reason why they have got away with it for so long. Their public image is so far removed from reality.

I know it's a sweeping generalisation, but celebrities are nearly all a"""holes. They have many attendents fawning over them, and the public worshipping them and their every move. I have had the misfortune of being in the presence of a few of them over the years and it has never been pleasant.

With regard to anonimity, I am in two minds. I am convinced that without the public naming, many of thr abuse cases would not come to light. We treat those who have been abused as if they are the criminals and coming forward with accusations has been very hard for many.
Last edited by Clingy on Tue May 14, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.