I Feel Small

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRC1Jpho ... r_embedded" target="_blank">Large and larger</a>
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Its a biiig universe...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

its the description tho....

OK so, lets do some math:)
There is an estimated 500 billion galaxies in 1 Universe. Each Galaxy can have less or more then 100 Billion stars, each star has 50% chance as of now to have planets orbiting it.
Kepler telescope found estimated 500 million planets in 2 years that could hold life in one galaxy, plus we know about 1 that already does. So if 500 billion galaxies have 500 million planets out of which 1 hosts intelligent life we have about 500 BILLION CIVILISATIONS in ONE Universe! Still think we are alone?:D

Class--
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

If you can picture a typical size High School and imagine that as the largest known star. Our star, Sun, Sol, would be comparable to a a full-step in one of that High School's test books.

Just the fact that there maybe planets orbiting any one of those stars, not just any planet will do. Astronomers are looking for the Goldilocks planet, something with a preciseness our Earth has.

When they speak of the Universe, they are only describing the known Universe... they can only see so far at the moment. Would love to see the math, or any postulation, for "alternate" Universes.

The Earth has been estimated as being about 4.5 Billion years old. The Universe is almost three times older, but the problem about aging the Universe is the sheer volume of hydrogen. The volume of hydrogen is an indication of it's being relatively young, about 13-14 billion years old.

This said, the vastness of the Universe has many, and understandably so, similarities with the smallness of atomic realms.

Physics is an amazing subject. :wub:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

The one question that I want to know is what is our universe expanding into, is it a tidal wave of destruction that's destroying something that came before us as it goes?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: The one question that I want to know is what is our universe expanding into, is it a tidal wave of destruction that's destroying something that came before us as it goes?
That's a question I've not heard before. We're still grappling with many aspects of the Universe. We have a lot to learn about Gravity. We're still looking for the unifying principle of the four cardinal forces of the Universe; Gravity, Electromagnetism, Strong Nuclear Force, and Weak Nuclear Force.

The Universe is expanding at a surprisingly uniform rate. The question of, "What is it expanding into?" has been asked. But the proposal of it possibly destroying something in its path is a concept I've not heard before. I wonder if such a possibility would explain some of the weird physics out there?
Last edited by Claw on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

It might do it might not, I've always been more of a questions man than an answers man.

The way I see it is there must have been something there to start with for all the matter that makes the universe to form from, for all we know our universe could be inside another and expanding destroying stuff as it goes, if its all expanding at a uniform rate perhaps the center of the universe at some point will start to implode and all that we and everything else out here, or there, will all get sucked back in, and then in billions of billions of years it all starts over again...

They say that there is data to support the theory that the center of our galaxy has a super massive black hole there, imagine one even larger than that at the center of the universe, stuff is expanding but will there come a point where its expansion is negated by the pull of these black holes and we start going backwards down the plug...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

The Universe imploding hypothesis was actually knocked on the head in the mid 70's by scientists standing on the shoulders of Einstein's theory of general relativity. They realised that Gravity has its limitations.

The principle of present matter has been guided by Einstein's E=MC2 equation, basically saying that you can get energy from matter, and matter from energy. So, a super, super blast of energy can be an explanation for the matter that exists around us.

The mathematics behind all of this is staggering. Just as scientists could predict the presence of numerous elements in the periodic table before they were actually discovered, it is possible to do this in a limited way in the cosmic realms. However, elements in the periodic table were easier to experiment with than stars and nebula. Now, if things aren't measuring up with what genuine scientists were expecting, they can't say the Universe is doing something wrong, they have to backtrack on their proposals and formulas, because there is so much precision in the Universe, what are referred to as Constants. But we're doing our best to catch up with the amazing math that exists out there.
Slatz
GSV Regular

Post by Slatz »

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Nice one, thanks Slatz, I've been looking for something like that. :2t: .
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Very cool :) I had to lol at the "Size of Minecraft world" :D

Class--
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

More mind boggling stats... Our Galaxy, the Milky Way, has over 100 Billion stars. To get an idea of the scale of this, try courting a star every second for 24 hours a day... it would only take you about 3,000 years to count them all.

If after this you would like to do something really challenging, you could get started on the other 100 Billion + Galaxies there are in the visible Universe.

There are far more stars out there than there are grains of sand on the Earth.. . . that was some Big Bang... :blink:
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Claw wrote: try courting a star every second for 24 hours a day...
Jee whizz where would you start tho? would you use the good old "phew is it just me or is it getting hot in here" line and how do I know if its a girl star or boy star :D
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Lol..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Class-- wrote:
Jee whizz where would you start tho? would you use the good old "phew is it just me or is it getting hot in here" line and how do I know if its a girl star or boy star :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Using a tablet with handwriting recognition. . . and it's got me into worse trouble than this before now. Handwriting is so much nicer and natural to work with... I just have to be a little more diligent when it comes to proof-reading. :)