When I'm 100

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Well its been a thoughtful Monday morning for me :) I've just been listening to Hans Christian Andersons story about magic galoshes. Written in 1838 he tells of how the watchman goes to the moon. Here he describes the moon with "thin air", "circular mountains" and looking back at earth which glowed red. Now this got me thinking, I mean he had these ideas all the way back then and he got the air one quite close to fact.
So what ideas do I hold at this time that are going to be looked at with stupity when I'm 100? This made me think about the conversation with my 94 year old grandma. We realised that horse and cart were still the mode of transport when she was young and she's watched the massive evolution of the car and everything electrical. So what are the cars going to be like when I'm 100? Will we call them cars or will cars be museum items and teleporters the norm? Will my grandchildrens children ask if I really drove a toxic combustion engined car and survived the ordeal :) will I be getting "skyped" from my family on mars/space hotel via my implanted chip on my retinas and ears? Or will it go the other way and we are all under the earths crust living basic nomadic horrible lives?

Basically what I'm looking for is your thoughts of the future and after a while I plan on printing this topic off and keeping it safe and hopfully have a chuckle on my 100th birthday at what fools we were or rather just how unaware we are of the future. Then again some of you might be spot on :)

Class--
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Aww bless, I like the way you think it'll take for you to be 100 before people look at the ideas you have now as stupid :lol:
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Trig wrote: Aww bless, I like the way you think it'll take for you to be 100 before people look at the ideas you have now as stupid :lol:
<_< nob :fish: :whis:

You telling me you've never thought about this? :D
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

No not really lol
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Cars will still exist is my gut feeling as the way we live is so heavily geared and taxed towards burning hydrocarbons. The money that changes hands every second for the supply and distribution of energy is colossal, therefore to change the way we do things will take a long long time, IMHO ;)
Of course if we weren't all fat greedy capitalist pigs and put our green hats on we'd solve our energy issues and could look at making sure we were fed and watered properly going forwards...... but that ain't going to happen, therefore i'll continue to live off the fat of the land thank you very much ;)

/and breathe.................
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Interesting I like it. What about pc's then? Your young family might ask "is it true you used to sit infront of a massive pc that took up a whole corner of your room with its monitor case and - what was the thing called? ah yes keyboard and mouse - and you really had to touch it to make it work? You couldnt just think what you wanted and feel it working?" :D
I'm looking forward to the conversations when I'm 100. As it stands thats 70 years away for me but thats more than my two lifetimes away. Ooo how interesting i find this :D

Class--
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

What about...
"You mean that cpu's were so big that you could actually hold them and see them? Wow!"
Or
"What? **** off! No way could you possibly waste 750watts runing a pc that couldn't even make dinner!"

:D