Mobile Networks

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Hi all,

Just a question of what networks people are using ?
I'm on virgin for my htc and find it ok upto the point when leaving our island, despite selecting use abroad and trying to connect manually to 3 other providers (traditional and 3g), no joy whatsoever.
I'm thinking about swapping networks over this issue as trying to get them to resolve it doesn't appear to work....

Are there any benefits to certain networks when using so called smart phones ? or is everyone much of a muchness and price dictates ?
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

On giffgaff here, you need your own handset though.
To be fair if your tied into an 18/24 month contract you can buy a handset and then use giffgaff and still save money.

I was paying £35 a month on o2 but cant remember what the handset was now.

I now pay £10 a month and get 250 anytime any network minutes, unlimited data and unlimited texts.
They run on the o2 network so if you get decent signal where you are on o2 then you're sorted.
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Also with giffgaff if you have a Blackberry and have their blackberry add on then you get free something or other whilst abroad. Cant quite remember what the deal was let me look it up for ya.

Class--

[edit] From <a href="https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/answe ... 688/kw/688" target="_blank">https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/answe ... /kw/688</a>

Will my BlackBerry data services work abroad on giffgaff?

Yes, data services will work abroad and you will have a fantastic 10MB of data completely free per day (charges will apply if 10MB is exceeded).

These charges are displayed here.

We are sure this little bonus will keep you all happily connected. Please also take a look at our BlackBerry add-on terms and conditions here.
[/edit]
Last edited by Class-- on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I've been with Orange from the day I got my first mobile. They've given me 300 loyalty mins, and then an additional 100 minutes as part of the service plan. Texts and data are unlimited.

Orange & T Mobile share free roaming. Then there is Orange Wednesdays, etc. Costs £15pcm. I don't like constantly changing providers, for anything. So, I'm not saying I have the perfect deal, it does what I want it to. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Yer I'm the same Claw as ive been with vodafone with the same number since '98. They do pee me off but always seem to give me a good loyalty discount come renewal :)

Also Madman if you get your giffgaff sim from Trig then he:ll get free air time or a fiver :)

Class--
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

yeah we both get £5 iirc.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Thanks guys

I have an unlocked phone and its a 30 day rolling sim only, currently get 200 mins, 1gb web, 5000 texts and 3000 mins to other virgin customers, cost is £10.99.

f0x tried to sway me to giffgaff when I first got this phone only went with virgin as I have everything else with them (gf's mobile, landline, tivo, broadband). Think it's time to make a move.......
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I may do the same. I've only heard of giffgaff, and must admit to thinking they would be a 'flash in the pan' service. But, they really have got something to offer.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

[Edit] nevermind :)
Last edited by Class-- on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.