Typing Siklls ;)

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

So is anyone else out there like me and always wanted to touch type (the proper way not the two finger way) and well... just never got round to it? I dont have the answer I'm just askin thats all :) I always try and start typing a post with my fingers in the right place but I always seem to revert back to two fingers cos it takes so bloody long :D
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

I picked up a microsoft ergonomic keyboard many years ago and due to the split nature it forces you to type in a more correct fashion.

I wouldn't say that I can properly touch type or never look at the keyboard but I certainly don't just use a single finger on each hand anymore.

The only time I have real difficulty is when I am thinking about typing, especially while typing this post :lol:
Tumble
Advanced Member

Post by Tumble »

I don't use just 2 fingers, but I can usually get about 44 words per minute in tumble-type :)
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

fond memories of Mavis Beacon......

Never got far with it though...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I had a dual layout keyboard for English and Russian. It was impossible to type with because of a conflict of what I am thinking and seeing, and then remembering what language I was using. So, I coloured in the English letters on the dual keyboard and then used a second standard English keyboard. Then, you have laptop keyboards with their slightly different layout. So, I have to look at my keyboard, briefly scanning across the sequence of keys I'll be using for a particular word to help me focus on what I'm typing. If I wanted to hold to some system of typing it would be catastrophic.

For some people, changing their typing style late on affects the character of their writing ability. It would be like purposely changing your handwriting. But I suppose this only matters in the type of writing you are doing.

In the next few years, maybe sooner, the whole style and method of conveying our thoughts to a distributable format, whether the medium is electronic or paper, is going to change, or maybe I should say that the emphasis is going to change.

Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) once wrote at little story on how he impressed his friends and associates with his mastering a new technology called the typemachine, or something like that, whatever it was called before "typewriter." (Might be in his Autobiography) He offers a great suggestion if ever you want to impress friends and family with your typing skills... I'll dig it out and drop it in here... :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Yer I kinda see what u mean Claw cos when I use the keyboard "properly" I use a lot less smilies as I always miss the brackets I want lol :)
For me I have always added loads of smilies as I'm normally smiling when I'm typing the stuff :)
As for Mavis Beacon I'm sure I infected quite a few pc's of mine with that, literally, as I found out later the downloaded version I had been using for years had a nice lil virus sitting in it :D Just glad you've posted those links Nelly as I will be lookin at them when I have time :)
velvet
Advanced Member

Post by velvet »

:blush: i used to be able to type 101 WPM but now its only about 55.
Can use all fingers and thumbs for the spaces.
The only good thing i did learn at school.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

sweep wrote: :blush: i used to be able to type 101 WPM but now its only about 55.
Can use all fingers and thumbs for the spaces.
The only good thing i did learn at school.
The written (okay, typed...) word has become more of a communication tool in our times than in any other time in history. If you can type at those speeds then you can write thoughts with a greater flow than the majority of people.

The best thing schooling should accomplish is to give a person an ability in reading, writing, and mathematics. If a person can master those three, including dyslexics, they can learn anything they want. Sadly, these are the key areas modern schooling for the past forty odd years have been neglecting.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Mik
Advanced Member

Post by Mik »

I can type about 40 words a minute but 30 of them will be spelt wrong :drib:
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Mik wrote: I can type about 40 words a minute but 30 of them will be spelt wrong :drib:
Wow... it took you just 24 seconds to type that. Only problem now is that your spelling is on borrowed time as all 16 words were spelled correctly... you're overdrawn by 6 words...

The first 6 words of whatever you type next will be modified by a moderator to be inkeeping with your spelling rations...

Man... what's the world coming to... comin' here and abusing our sacred code of spelling ethics... you watch, they'll be writing multisyllable words next... :D

:P :)
Mik
Advanced Member

Post by Mik »

You have spell-checker on this site... :whis:
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Not sure if anyone else actually noticed but while we're on the subject of typing skills anyone else noticed the typo in the thread name :lol:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Not until you pointed it out ! It's that word recognition thing we all do without realising.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

andrew wrote: Not until you pointed it out ! It's that word recognition thing we all do without realising.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's brilliant Andrew! Forever and a day my new excuse for a spelling mistake will be, "It's that word recognition thing we all do without realising!" :2t:

As for the thread title typo, it was Class that started this thread... his sense of humour plays with yer mental faculties for a bit, and then, when your least expecting it, his joke explodes in your head resulting in an tremorous chuckle. :D

That guy is lethal. :P