Are Wargames Just Recruiting Tools?

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... s-military" target="_blank">Linky</a>

Interesting article.

While I think that a fair amount of liaison is going on to make these things "realistic", or at least within gaming terms, I think any army that relies on it as a recruiting tool would be better off going back to press gangs.

I think it's more likely that the military is getting help back from the industry with training simulators etc, though it's interesting to note that controllers are starting to resemble gaming controls...
After all if a 15 year old can abuse a controller design for hours on end, it's got to be good ergonomically for real life.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

They can't stop warring now... there is an economic dependency on warring that has its roots far deeper than any other time in history. :(
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Mmm interesting read. I think of it like this tho. Just because I run about as a plumber standing on mushrooms and saving princessess it doesn't make me want to do it in real life. Like Formula one games don't make me want to be Lewis Hamilton. At the end of the day you will get a percentage that will but an overwhelmingly majority that won't. In my opinion. I'm reminded of my friend who was brilliant at any driving game but when he got his license he was the worst driver I've ever had to sit next to, so much so he no longer has a license :( I would say basic training would get rid of any ideas of grandeur when it comes to the army and being a 1337 Hax0r with a deagle.
2p

Edit oh and I'm totally with u about the controllers. Why invest millions on something that's already had millions spent on to find a great solution? Its a bit like the American space pen. They spent millions coming up with a pen that works in zero gravity. The Russians? Yep they used a pencil :D
Last edited by Class-- on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

Class-- wrote: Like Formula one games don't make me want to be Lewis Hamilton.
I play F1 games and agree i dont want to be Lewis :P i want to be Jensen Button in fact im even better and im trying to get in touch with McLaren to show them my online stats with Force India to show that i havt lost a race all season.

On a serious note i think the difference is, We grew up playing old fashion games like mario as good as there where they wernt real enough to make you want to join in other then play with the game. We went and played football and wernt sat in front of a console all night.

Kids these days playing BF3, MW3, GTA3 all these games which are meant to be 18 rated 10, 11, 12 are playing and they cannot grasp that its only a game and find it had to not bring there experiences into the real world.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

What a person sees and effectively 'does' in a game, this contributes to a great extent in desensitizing their feelings and conscience for the real thing.

What proportion of society today want the war to stop because innocent people will inevitably be killed as a consequence?

[Will edit this when I get to open another browser on my device]
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...