Festivals

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Righto, here's a thread dedicated to festivals.

I've seen several facebook entries to show that several of us have done the 'Hippy' thing, (attended festivals, not buying a hairdresser's car.....).

So which ones did you get to?, which acts surprised you and which disappointed?, Do we need to mention the toilets?, Did you take out a second mortgage to cover the beer and food bills?

Me First then.....

<div align="left"><a href="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lHNdhWtVwp8/T ... CF1068.JPG" target="_blank">Image</a></div>

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Camp Bestival<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Pic is of my littlest un, getting loud and larey to Wretch 32, Can see her in the Mosh pit in a few years.

We've been the last 3 years of the 4 it's been running. It's a surprisingly family friendly festival, right here on our doorstep.
This year we chose 'Camping plus' for an extra £120. Reserved plot takes a lot of the stress out of the arrival and setting up.
Compared to the costof the whole weekend it was a drop in the ocean.

We could have gone the Thursday night to setup as well, but
maybe we'll do that next year. Certainly I was surprised at how well my kids behaved with two late nights and incredibly busy days.
Not sure if everyone found the same, but the times we travelled, we found very few queues (well none actually), even getting out late Sunday after the fireworks.

Bad Shepherds - Not just that Ade Edmondson is a 'Twat off the Telly' (His own words), but they are genuinely brilliant.
Almost as good, were the swing band playing in the Black Dahlia on Sunday night. You just got to a point where you thought there was nothing they could do with a Swing band, Amy Winehouse to Gnarls Barkely covers were all polished off with their own flavour.

One of the best things of any festival is stumbling across bands and acts that you wouldn't normally even give a second glance at. Some of these included Lau, the Kawa circus, and a host of others that I even forgot to look up who they were.

I also missed some of the big names, although you could hear their sets over the whole site from the main stage. Kicking myself for missing Blondie, Ms Dynamite etc. but sometimes the kids just have to come first.
It's not as if they always came first, they also missed Mr Tumble and the Zingzillas this year because we were busy doing other things.
We also missed out the big Kaledeiscopey fishey thing, but life is just to short for queuing sometimes. Not that it stopped other people queueing. the length of the queue for the showers was a puzzle. I mean, come on, surely you can last 2 days without a shower? Can't you?.

Downsides, as always, were the prices (£7 for a burger ffs.), lack of manners from over-pushy parents intent on making sure their little darling got what they wanted (we're in danger of breeding a generation of Brats), Litter (my kids were resorting to picking up others litter just so they could play in a litter-free area) and the fact that it was all over just too soon.
Some people have complained about the groups of unruly drunken teenagers around the place, but I didn't see any huge problems, and security were evident but polite and stood in the background.

Huge thanks to Rob da Bank and his crew for organising it and my family, friends and all enjoying themselves in the spirit that it was intended.
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

Not a festival person sadly lol couldt handle the toilets at all think they would freak me out.

Been to see Iron Maiden at Newcastle Metro Area and Airbourne supported them (ok from what i heard).
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Love 'em.

Been to two now, Latitude last year and IOW this year.

I do find that most people go for a sing-a-long, but I try and get to see new bands or up and comming stuff. Last year caught The XX and Everything Everything before they became famous. (Did same for Marina and the Diamonds and Paloma Faith). Not really into the "headliiners" but did enjoy Foo Fighters and Kasabian, although the artificial hysteria annoy me a tad. Enjoy getting up close when I can, but not so keen getting covered in p1ss! Saw Jeff Beck and Pixie Lott from the very front, the former was dissapointing the latter had really short shorts :). Got a bit scary at the front with the Courteeners and Hadouken. Best act? Probably Seasick Steve.

Toilets are just unbelievable and camping on IOW was a nightmare, just no space at all. It then lashed it down for 20 hours solid and the whole place was a slurry pit. Until you have experienced it you just cannot realise how bad the mud gets. Plus side was that 17000 people went home and teh stadium wasn;t so busy. Next year we'll pay more for the "boutique" camping. Wife had to queue two and a half hours for a shower! Can't see the point of the Fun Fare or stalls selling crap, food is variable. Latitude, which is more of a posh event had some good food stalls and there are usually plenty of Vege options, but IOW was generally poor. Car park was 2 miles from camp site, luckily I could get a sack barrow and wheel barrow in the people carrier. Took some food and cooked a bit, which saved some money.

One great thing is that people are so friendly, everyone chats to you. Quite a few get smashed, which I can't understand. Why pay £200, why not just camp in your local pub? I tend to plan the weekend like a military excercise and have little time for drinking.

Still wondering whether I can catch another one this year, Bestival on IOW perhaps? Next year probably look to do V-Festival and a few smaller ones.
Slatz
GSV Regular

Post by Slatz »

Me and Mrs S did Wickerman this year. Our first.
Upgraded to a yurt in the posh field with our own showers and loos.

Great fun.

The Dammed were my highlight followed by the Dangleberries and what's left of The Jam.