Petrol

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Ye Gods, did I just work out that a gallon is £6.13p?

I might just sell the car and be done with it. It's criminal.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I'd bike to work if the missus could drive, she could drive the A2 and do all the running around and I could get fit :lol:
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

cycling is the way forward! I've done it for a year solid now. Not going to lie though, it is crap in the rain/winter but saves you a small fortune.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

The car we use the most is an older Diesel Fiesta which we run on Vegetable Oil. At the moment 20 litres of Veg Oil is £1 per litre. So, at current rates we're saving about £8 to £16 per fill depending how much we put in. (We can only get the oil in multiples of 20 litre containers)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Raz
Advanced Member

Post by Raz »

Wow, does vegetable oil produce the same energy as whatever diesel is at the pump?
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Been cycling in for a month or so now. Feel great for it.
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

I have a fuel card with work, it costs £60 to fill my Skoda fabia 1.5 diesel.

If I did not have this fuel card, I would not own a car. Its insane.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

£85 last night at morrisons :( , certainly seems to be slowing people down !

edit:
I remember seeing the litres going up faster than the pounds, not the other way round thats whats the shocking bit !
Last edited by andrew on Tue May 10, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Raz wrote: Wow, does vegetable oil produce the same energy as whatever diesel is at the pump?
Diesel engines were invented to run on Peanut Oil. :)

I can't drive due to medical reasons, but my wife says the Veg Oil (VO) gives the car a bit more kick... (improves performance)

We've not needed to modify the engine in any way, but newer diesels my need modification, possibly due to differences/changes in the injection system. This is why we keep our older 1.8 Fiesta as more than just the run-about.

At one time you had to pay a fuel duty if you drove more than 2.5K miles, but several years ago the Government changed that to 10K miles.

Every now and again we'll drop in a fuel system cleaner, Red X or something like that, or just a good mix of diesel and VO.

Tis good stuff. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Driving home tonight the price of derv seems to be coming back down a bit....... about a week after the price of a barrel of oil fell a fair bit.....

Its still a one way trend though !
Last edited by andrew on Wed May 11, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

tbh if as a road user I could see where the extra money they rape us for went then I might be more inclined to not moan about it.

Road tax goes up, the state of the roads is bloody shocking.
Insurance goes up, I havent had any accidents.
Petrol goes up, I'm still using as much as I have done for a while and still drive the same car.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: tbh if as a road user I could see where the extra money they rape us for went then I might be more inclined to not moan about it.

Road tax goes up, the state of the roads is bloody shocking.
Insurance goes up, I havent had any accidents.
Petrol goes up, I'm still using as much as I have done for a while and still drive the same car.
That puts the entire issue in a nutshell Trig.

I've done a 'Nelly on the Net' and found this article: <a href="http://www.thetaxguide.co.uk/what-does- ... y-for.html" target="_blank">What does Road Tax pay for?</a>

According to that article, and the follow-up discussion, we haven't paid any road tax since 1937. It was changed to Vehicle Excise Duty, which is more of a big pot for several types of taxes and spent where and as desired the Government choose.
Tumble
Advanced Member

Post by Tumble »

£6.80 for a gallon of Diesel here now :( my van was £113 to fill last time. Glad I've got a fuel card!
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Sadly, the next concern is how this is going to affect the company you work for that is providing you wth that card? How will this affect uour next pay review? :(
Tumble
Advanced Member

Post by Tumble »

Claw wrote: Sadly, the next concern is how this is going to affect the company you work for that is providing you wth that card? How will this affect uour next pay review? :(

Essentially, if the van hasn't got any fuel, I can't do my job, which loses them more money than they're paying me - and I can't afford to run a vehicle on that scale in order to do my job. I can just about keep the missus' car running. They get the VAT back on the Diesel anyway - apparently as long as my tools are in the back, I'm "on call" and therefore every mile is a business mile ;) Not that there's a lot of milage you can do over here, I'm in it all day every day and rarely do more than 20k a year.