10 Crazy Low Aircraft Fly-bys

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Something to do with the onboard systems wasnt it, working out the kinks in the flight software, bad crosswinds = floor, tumble, few broken bits..

Always prefered the Viggen to the Grippen so no great loss :lol:
Slatz
GSV Regular

Post by Slatz »

More to do with him being a porridge stirrer. Always fiddling with the joystick, flight controls being too sensitive and input buffer not being big enough. He started to experience delays in reall stick inputs, over corrected and got into an open loop feedback.

Crosswind was used as mitigation. Fligt control software de-sensitised and buffer increased. Simples.

Until you let him loose in an air display. :D

More interesting was the crash over Lake Vatten when they discoverd a couple of embarassing faaults.

1. Pilots auto inflation on life vests didn't work in fresh water, only salt. Fortunately pilot was conscious and so could inflate it manually.

2. Sonar locater beacon on "Black box" for recovery of same from water detaches from box when wet. They found the beacon and never the box. 'Cos there was no evidence to prove otherwise pilot got full blame for that one. :(

Lots more stories that go much better with beer.

For instance the "remove before flight" tags taken from missiles being transported to the Falklands in the back of a C130. Or the Saudi pilot who did an emergency landing with a fully loaded and armed JP233.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

I had to google jp233 :huh:
Please don't say anymore Slatz, you're making me nervous especially as I live too close it would seem to an airport