Whatever Next

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Only in America I hope. How far will security checks go?

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/201 ... ty.tsa.cnn" target="_blank">Story</a> :angry:
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Seen loads about the TSA Hammer. All travellers are a terrorist until proven to be simply a terrorist without an explosive device. No mention of innocence anywhere. Even commercial pilots have to go through the same procedure or face losing their job.

More importantly, this is not about catching a terrorist. It is the oppression by force of the travelling public. Next it will be toll road scanning booths then scanners built into the door frames of homes.

Destroy the freedom of people whilst telling them it is for their own good and protection. What a load of BALLS.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Land of the free... see...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

What we see here is not a fault with America as such, but dumb airport staff. By the disapproving tone of both reporters and the report itself is a clear indication that what those airport staff did was just plain stupid. We see and hear Americans ridiculing what the airport staff did, so you can't throw a blanket of blame on the whole nation, can you? :rolleyes:

If Terry had been there he would have pulled out his M1911 and told 'em, "Let the boy go, or you're Croc food..."

We gotta be careful when generalising... :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

I think in this country financial concerns are actually bringing about a slow decline in the amount of monitoring that is being conducted on the populace. A fair few speed cameras have been taken down around me which is a good thing.

I also watched something recently where a member of the police commented that it's alright having a load of surveillance cameras but if they don't have a copper available to go and stop the crime what use are the cameras.

We've also seen the identity card scheme scrapped, although I wouldn't be surprised if they just incorporate some of the technology into passports etc.

Better than nothing for us. I also wouldn't be surprised if our new links with France will lead to a few things being slackened as we work more closely.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

At one point in this country there was one camera per 14 people.

How many crimes have there been where ad-hoc footage has led to the capture of some dodgy bloke when they gave it a look-over days later, etc.

I dunno, maybe they think it's like that Zen tree noise thing... if there is no camera there to see it, maybe there won't be a crime... :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Arguing from the opposite side, how many crimes didn't happen at all because a bobby walked down the road and actually said hello.

Which would you rather have?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

It would concern me if our area needed patrolling, whether it was Bob or not. However I'm sure his Para would have the desired effect. :D (Sorry, just a Leslie Neilson moment)

Seriously though, I would be concerned if our area was such that it needed patrolling.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I would rather see Bobbies than cameras. I live in a ok area of Edinburgh but close by there is a rough area, seeing bobbies would make me feel safer coming home from work.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Claw wrote: It would concern me if our area needed patrolling, whether it was Bob or not. However I'm sure his Para would have the desired effect. :D (Sorry, just a Leslie Neilson moment)

Seriously though, I would be concerned if our area was such that it needed patrolling.
But your ok with having a camera?

I don't know where you live but in many city/town areas there are cameras on a fair few streets that you probably don't pay any heed to. But rather than catch the person who stabbed me to death it would be nice if plod was around and due to their presence I didn't get stabbed in the first place.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Myocardial Infarction wrote: But your ok with having a camera?

I don't know where you live but in many city/town areas there are cameras on a fair few streets that you probably don't pay any heed to. But rather than catch the person who stabbed me to death it would be nice if plod was around and due to their presence I didn't get stabbed in the first place.
I'm okay having a camera, that is like having plod stood on the corner of your street 24/7. Which I think is a much better deterrent than plod wandering down your lane whenever he gets around to it.

We don't actually have a camera on our lane, but I have my own, with eloquent signage to that effect.

The thing about stabbing is that it requires a completely different psychological approach to the victim than shooting. Shooting can be done from a distance, and can be done cowardly. Stabbing involves knowingly entering someone's personal space, or comfort zone, and them in yours. So, for one person to stab another reflects a deep psychological issue - which I feel helps them ignore all the consequences of their actions, and in turn the relevance of plod while he's around the corner.

If someone has the mentality to stab another person, they will find a way to do it, regardless.
Last edited by Claw on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Claw wrote: I'm okay having a camera, that is like having plod stood on the corner of your street 24/7. Which I think is a much better deterrent than plod wandering down your lane whenever he gets around to it.

We don't actually have a camera on our lane, but I have my own, with eloquent signage to that effect.

The thing about stabbing is that it requires a completely different psychological approach to the victim than shooting. Shooting can be done from a distance, and can be done cowardly. Stabbing involves knowingly entering someone's personal space, or comfort zone, and them in yours. So, for one person to stab another reflects a deep psychological issue - which I feel helps them ignore all the consequences of their actions, and in turn the relevance of plod while he's around the corner.

If someone has the mentality to stab another person, they will find a way to do it, regardless.
You talking about me Claw :unsure:
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Claw wrote: I'm okay having a camera, that is like having plod stood on the corner of your street 24/7. Which I think is a much better deterrent than plod wandering down your lane whenever he gets around to it.

Just goes to show how trapped most people feel when they have to put up their own cameras. I personally don't have a huge issue at home as I live pretty far off the beaten track although we do get the pikeys and gipsies etc coming round occasionally but they're generally only after knicking stuff.

The mentality to stab someone is a fairly different to shooting someone, but shooting generally takes a fair amount more forthought than a stabbing. It's also much easier to carry a knife and much easier to get hold of.

You only have to watch these police shows on TV to see that cameras really don't act as a deterant to most, some even play things out in front of the cameras on purpose.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Myocardial Infarction wrote: Just goes to show how trapped most people feel when they have to put up their own cameras. I personally don't have a huge issue at home as I live pretty far off the beaten track although we do get the pikeys and gipsies etc coming round occasionally but they're generally only after knicking stuff.

You only have to watch these police shows on TV to see that cameras really don't act as a deterant to most, some even play things out in front of the cameras on purpose.
For me, not trapped in the paranoid sense of the word, but I'm rightfully concerned for the welfare of my family and belongings which moves me to be cautiously prepared.

Are criminals caught because of the presence of cameras? :unsure:
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Claw wrote: Are criminals caught because of the presence of cameras? :unsure:
I'm sure that they are on a fairly regular basis, but again whether they're all prosecuted I doubt. There is also times when the camera is of no use and doesn't catch anything useable and they have to make public appeals.

I think as long as they are used properly in connection with adequate policing then they serve a purpose and I'm not totally against cameras, but there are so many of them, do we really need them all as they cost a fortune to run and install.

In regards to terrorism, have we actually lost the fight already as we've given in to them by running scared and implementing so many methods of monitoring our own law abiding populace. We're all going to unintentionally break the law at some time as there is no way that any normal individual could even know all of the law of the country, even the police don't know all the law.